Sunday, 11 December 2011

frock


It's the festive season - for me not just Christmas and new year, but also a run of significant family birthdays.

Last night we had a lovely no-children-to-be-seen meal out to celebrate my mum's 78th birthday - amazing food at The Commoner in Fitzroy in an upstairs private dining room. I won't harp about the hopeless service because the food really was stunning, though seriously, if you are going to be a drinks waiter learn to pour a beer for goodness sake!

Anyway, a lovely dinner in adult company is a great excuse to get to and make a lovely frock. I am not a huge dress wearer, though I am trying to wear them more since I do think they look nice when I see other people wear them. I haven't even wore the bubble pocket linen dress I made last month but I am hoping the weather will make it perfect for one or more of the Christmas functions I have coming up.

As soon as my current edition of Ottobre had arrived I'd earmarked both the bubble pocket dress pattern and this one, called Glendora (? it must be a Finnish thing...). Like the bubble pocket dress Glendora didn't go up to my size and required other alterations - the original pattern had a straight skirt under the bodice and cuffs on the sleeves.


The fabric is from (gasp) spotlight, and I love both the print with its combination of black and blue and the fabric weight and structure. It is quite heavy, has a slight sheen and a small amount of elastine making it firm to wear, but very comfortable and it barely creases! I used a very similar fabric from Clegs to make a shirt years ago and it has held up amazingly well. I have to say when I found it at spotlight I stash 3 other prints in the same fabric. I don't like that the predominant background colour is white - I don't like wearing white at all! - but it seems to be the case with every single version of this fabric I have seen and I like the feel so much I'm just sucking it up over the white.


There are no closures at all because the elastine content creates enough give for the shimmy over the head and bust to be easy. It's not just that I don't like doing zips, introducing as they do a whole new set of possibilities for messing things up, but I really think zips change the way the fabric hangs and can ruin the line of the dress even if well installed. It also has my favourite bust dart shape - sloping down into the side seam.

So all up it was an easy dress to make and I did it in a day including tracing and modifying the pattern, whilst caring for kids and doing jobs in between. I sewed the last button on about 10 minutes before I needed to jump in the shower to get ready - oodles of time! I think after it has done party duty this season it may do well as a work dress too thanks to the business like neckline.

I'm really getting into the sewing groove now, which should serve me in good stead as I set to on the Christmas sewing list...

5 comments:

Tania said...

I think it's fabulous. And it's only 60% white.

travellersyarn said...

What a great frock - perfect for the party season. I was just talkiing with Mum about how Spotlight seems to have picked up their game on the fabric front. I have loved the japanese lawns that have been in recently.

Julie said...

Great frock, great fabric. The white background is great for summer. Like travellersyarn, I've been enjoying the japanese lawn from Spotlight a lot too.

eeloh said...

You do realise that now you've fessed up to the existence of a Christmas list, you'll have to divulge the contents...

Julia said...

Beautiful frock. I love the colors and it is ideal for the holiday season with all the parties and family reunions.