Tuesday, 23 August 2011

disappointment

stripe and splotch
A striking, simple, clever pattern, nice to knit and lovely to wear.

citrus and charcoal pashmina
Wonderfully soft yarn, nice to knit and lovely to wear. Stunning colours, great contrast.



stripe and splotchstripe and splotch
Completely underwhelmed by the way the dye has faded and run on first careful hand wash. The orange has washed out to a much gentler shade, but worse still the charcoal edging now sports patches of muddy brown stain that look very much like scorch marks or spilt tea. Much more noticeable in real life.

Now that I look through Ravelry comments on this yarn (Madeline Tosh Pashmina) there is some mention of the run issue from other knitters, but no comment from the company and no warning on the labels. No response from the company to my email letting them know I was disappointed.

And I'm especially disappointed because I have really loved all the yarns of theirs I have knit with, I've not had any problems before and would happily have held them dear as my Most Favourite Yarn Company. But if you can sell a high end luxury product and know it has some dye bleed issues and not either fix it or warn consumers AND fail to respond to a polite and sad email, well, then, shame.

8 comments:

sharon said...

disappointing indeed but thanks for the heads up. I have some of this sitting in a shopping cart ready to buy but not so anymore!

Leonie said...

That's such a shame after all the work of knitting it up. I'd hazard the brown bits are from the orange dye coming in contact with the grey. Hopefully the company will get back to you about the fading.

Kate said...

That is not good - the spots are quite obvious. I have some pashmina - I will only use one colour per garment I think.

Jodie said...

all that work - i would be more than disappointed..I would be ummm I don't know - shitty ?.

neki desu said...

Sooz,
try washing again with a neutral soap such as synthrapol. add one colour picker towel to the wash. maybe this will correct your mishap.
good luck.

Nikki said...

I'm with Jod on this one.....
:(

sewjourn said...

Damn annoying!

travellersyarn said...

I'm not impressed with the non-reaction from the yarn company...

You might have some luck with the Dylon Colour run product. I used it on a hat when some naturally dyed socks ran onto it. Warning:it is as dear as poison.