Tuesday, 17 May 2011

order

They haven't given me anything for free or anything but I'm still going to say I love appliances online. Cheap, fast, reliable, on time, helpful. Seriously, it's not often I can say that about a shopping experience. Anyway, the new dryer is rockin.

The washing machine is fixed now that the blocked spigot is unblocked. A simple thing, and the machine lives to wash another day.

So order has been restored to the laundry.

The germs in my throat have migrated South in a fit of pique so I'm now coughing like all get out and it's a delight to behold.

In other news I am preparing to send the girl child off on her first proper 2 night camp with school, a topic of much angsty talk as I am sure you can imagine. With this super cold snap too, it is the topic of several notices home from school which ask HOW WILL YOU DEAL WITH THE COLD? HOW ARE YOU GOING TO DEAL WITH BEING WET? Nothing like a bit of alarm.

I'm also preparing for the making of a wedding quilt. No pressure or anything. I've got a pretty tight brief so I am going to need to buy quite a bit of fabric. I'm not real keen on buying fabric under pressure but I am hoping to get a good amount done at craft camp so time is ticking over and the days of lengthy pondering are shortening all the time.

I am knitting like a demon on D's jumper and fantasising about machine knitting. It's hard to find the big chunks of time you really need to progress machine knit projects. I keep thinking about all the ways that machine knitting is so very different to the hand variety. I'm definitely glad to have both but it can be frustrating to deal with the drawbacks of one over the other.

The bloke is off later in the week for yet another jaunt over the seas. My joy over his overwhelming career success must occasionally take a back seat to my bitter resentment. Only occasionally. Mostly it's just generic brand grumpiness at being a solo parent but there is a twinge of jealousy of getting to do the stuff you're really good at, for money and acclaim, unencumbered. A reflection on the limitations placed on my own work I guess. Anyway, ho hum same old same old.

At last the US dollar is strengthening, which means I can stop feeling compelled to buy yarn from overseas. Don't you judge me.

5 comments:

Claire said...

Hi Sooze I hope you are feeling better soon! I love your honesty re the 'little bit of jealousy' I get the same way sometimes :-/ but I don't miss the pressure that comes with great career success. I bet D misses you guys like crazy when he's away.

kim at allconsuming said...

Did you write this sentence for me too?:
My joy over his overwhelming career success must occasionally take a back seat to my bitter resentment.

Tania said...

We are living on laundered Borrowed Time. Thank you for the Appliances Online tip. I would have happily clad the kids in bathers in lieu of clean undies rather than find myself in a whitegoods department...

travellersyarn said...

Career success = good, sole parenting while they travel = not so much. I've got that gig next week as well, while the other is gallivanting around Hong Kong!

Sally in Sydney said...

I said almost the exact same thing to my hubby the other day after I got my new dishwasher from Appliances Online. They were sooooo good. It was such a stress free experience.