Friday, 8 April 2011

rules*

In an unstable environment take nothing for granted. Even good people do dumb stuff when the very definition of normal is up for grabs. Be shocked, be appalled, be angry, be sad but don't be surprised.

When people feel threatened they will act out of self interest. They quite likely don't realise it so all the more important that you do and make an independent judgment.

Going with the flow can take you a long way from home. Once you lose your bearings the only thing that counts is keeping your head above water, and all possibility for something more meaningful is lost.

If you are in a situation where you cannot behave in a way you feel proud of, you are in a bad situation and should leave.

Don't stay when you know you should go. But don't expect leaving to be painless. Just because its right, doesn't mean its easy.

You can't control what other people do, only try to control your own response.

It doesn't matter how wrong or outrageous someone else's behaviour is, you need to think through the consequences of your own reaction on them - in the end if you paint someone into a corner, they will come out fighting.

Life is too short to always take the safe or easy option. It's also too short to go from one knee jerk to the next.





* these are my rules, and a reminder for me. They are all obvious and trite, but it seems I am nonetheless good at forgetting them. I am making no claim to universal application rule writing status, so no need to tell me I am not a zen master.

12 comments:

MadCraftyMama said...

So true. I could use some of your wisdom, Zen master.

Belinda said...

Totally agree with every rule, thanks for the reminder. Sounds like your rules are being tested. As you say, right is not always easy; hope you're managing it okay.

aracne said...

I like this post, it reminded me of what really counts in life. I tend to forget too...

Jodie said...

Day job .

fiveandtwo said...

Not good at work is the vibe I get. The "rules" you wrote demonstrate your personal strength.
More power to your arm (as my very feminist aunt would say).

Ren said...

Oooh there you go Sooz, these are the rules my mum brought me up on. Good rules, I reckon. I forget to live by them quite often, but I remember them quick as when giving advice to young nieces... so there you go. Thinking of you and miss you x

knitabulous said...

Good rules. I don't know what it's about, but I think it might be a little like my own rule - the only behaviour you can control is your own.

Just hard to remember all the time..

Sharon said...

Good rules S... Sometimes it is hard to keep your head when everyone else is losing theirs... Your wise words @ the moment neatly captures my work situation...My fear striking out on my own...

Jody Pearl said...

Oh, I don't know - sounds pretty Zen Masterish to me also quite profound and serendipidous (?) as again you have stepped into my world as-it-is at the moment so if you don't mind I'll borrow your rules for a while.

Annie said...

Good words and worth a reminder.

The Shopping Sherpa said...

Thank you.

final izle said...

thank you