So I said I'd share and now I am. This is the highlights of the summer sewing.
A final edit on the sack dress I refashioned the year before last. I'd never been happy with the existing neck, it had really awful machine embroidery in orange and a heavy facing that really weighed the top haft of the dress down. It also had a zip down the back which really wasn't needed, so I took it out, cut off the facings and added a light cotton twisted neck (a la ms assemblage).
I made this very heavy weight silk top a long time ago and in my suit wearing days it got a lot of use in the winter. But like lots of things I made ages ago, the shoulders were not exactly right, and because I'm holding up the camera they still don't look right but trust me, they are! I added two pin tucks on either shoulder sloping down to the centre front and back and can I say for a 5 minute sewing job this has really been transformative. Not only is the fit improved but it is more interesting and the faux v neck that results breaks up my expansive bust line in a flattering sort of way.
I started this shirt back at craft camp, but it sat unfinished for over a month (not like me at all!). The photo isn't great - I do need to get the camera remote thing happening don't I?? - but I really like this shirt a lot. It is made from a fairly lightweight linen elastine, which is my favourite fibre combination right now. The dart placement is unusual (and excellent) and taken from a vintage pattern Michelle lent me. Her pattern was for a dress and it didn't have a front opening, so my shirt doesn't much resemble the original! I love the sleeve bindings (I'm not a cuff fan) and the front zip, but it is the collar I really love.
Next I made this hot day dress - a trade off between comfort and sackyness. I used the blue/grey mottled jersey I got from the opshop (I figure this dress cost about $0.80) to try out something loosely based on an Ottobre pattern that didn't come in my size. The result is fantastic, I was super pleased and then promptly spilt mayo all down the front of it. Luckily I was all ready to make a second version anyway.
In version 2, made with a shot black/red linen, I added an extra seam so I could pop some pockets in. I love this one too, though I think the jersey one is a little more flattering, this one is definitely more stylish. A couple of times I've worn it over leggings or pants and it feels great.
I finally made this drape drape top for myself - having already made it for someone else and simply dismissed the possibility of getting that itty bitty size to fit me. But hey, those voluminous styles are clearly adaptable! This one is made of a gauzy grey cotton knit and it's getting a bit of use these days over grotty T-shirts.
This top is made with a Jalie pattern from a heavy weight cotton elastine jersey. I picked it up as a remnant (Tessuti?) and then dyed it this colour. This will be a great one in winter, the fit is pretty good and I'd be keen to make one or two more, slightly altered. It shows up that I did all my sewing without the use of an ironing board and with a very rudimentary 30+ year old iron!
Another reno on an existing top. This knit had saggy shoulders and no shape - I unpicked the sleeve seams, raised the shoulders and shaped the side seams. Once it's ironed (!) it should be good.
I started renovating this shirt in the great turnover of 2009 but I didn't finish! I raised the shoulders, shortened the sleeves and hem, added darts all over the place and out of sheer frustration sewed the front opening closed. The soft fabric combined with stretched out button holes meant it kept coming open is a very not good way. It ended up being quite a bit over work over the two sessions of altering, but I really love the collar on this one so I'm glad I persisted.
I also did a pile of other entirely uninteresting hems and repairs that are not at all photo worthy.
Although I didn't knit much there are a few catch up items here.
I finally photographed the kimono cardi I knitted on the machine at last craft camp. This time I used a heavier yarn and it's much less drapey and soft than the first version, but also much warmer. I love the dye job (not too clear in this pic I'm sorry) which has a perfect level of variation and no pooling. And heck, not bad for something that took a day to make!
This wrap is currently in very heavy rotation. It is the largest I've made, using a silk/wool lace weight combined with an alpaca laceweight. It is soft, warm and the perfect size. I borrowed a friend's card 232 and man, I really like the stitch (a kind of mock seed or moss stitch) so I will be haunting ebay for my own copy!
I also finally finished the socks of doom and I'm still too traumatised to speak of it.