Monday, 10 January 2011

like looking in a mirror, only better

I was reading a forum on Ravelry about choosing projects to suit your body. I loved the idea that people on Ravelry were working together to learn from each other's mistakes and successes in such a finely tuned way. Beyond how well a pattern is written, or how cute the design. Beyond even how well this works in a size 18 or for an hourglass figure. This is about finding other people who are exactly like you in size and shape. Seeing how knitted stuff looks on them, not just the gorgeous model on the pattern cover.

In one of the discussion threads I found this link My Body Gallery - What Real Women Look Like. On the surface it's a great resource for getting some images in your own mind about people who are about your own size and shape, or some other size and shape if you are making things for other people.

But after cruising the images for a while I noticed all the text on the page. This is a site about much more than finding your twin, it's also about research that indicates that a really alarming number of women of all sizes and shapes do not really see themselves when they look in the mirror. While we might be able to accurately size up a box, or maybe even another person, our perception of size in relation to ourselves is overwhelmed by what we believe about ourselves. When we look in the mirror we almost certainly don't see ourselves really accurately and we're quite possibly inflating ourselves by quite a bit.

So go visit and look, and while you are there why not upload your own anonymous images to help build the library up.

4 comments:

thornberry said...

Thanks for the link Sooz. I know that I am often surprised when I see photos of myself or when I look in the mirror, and I look thinner/fatter/differently shaped to how I think I am. Weird.

Posie Patchwork said...

Oh how much fun, finding your dobbleganger (spellling??) I just did a post on twins today, my real ones, in honour of Princess Mary. Mind you, even they don't look alike!! Love Posie

Nikki said...

Hmmm... apparently there are no other bodies my shape in there. May have to upload one to represent those of us who are a little on the little side....

Christine said...

No one my shape either. Funny thing about photos though, I've noticed just among my friends and relations that some look better in photos, and some look better in real life. As for accidentally seeing oneself in an unrecognized mirror - who is that vaguely familiar person?