Saturday, 20 November 2010

there's always more

Next in line after the lovely GP is the lovely chiropractor* #. He's a legend as they say. He once made a house call when I did my back in so badly I couldn't get off the bed. Even a locum GP who injected my back with all manner of scary shit couldn't make my legs work when I was in the upright position but Frank got me walking with the aid of a sarong and a large piece of elastic. You gotta love a practical man, and nothing beats going to the toilet under your own steam.

So Frank the man greeted me in his office today with a aren't you meant to be in New Zealand and looked entirely unsurprised when I told him what had happened. He then regaled me with stories - as he does - about the hospital system and why it works the way it does and did a little jiggery pokery. Like this was it? and with a well placed pinch he managed to bring on the full experience of the so called stroke.

So a tear in a muscle in my neck is his explanation and given his ability to locate the problem and address it, I have no doubt he's right. A few extra chiro visits, a little massage, a little being a bit more careful with my neck and a little less exhaustion and adrenaline and things should be perfectly fine.

He said it's when the adrenaline tapers off that things go wrong - and it was as soon as we got in the taxi and I went ahh, we're off that I stopped pumping out that miracle masker of problems and suddenly felt the injury I most likely did wheeling a suitcase off a curb and twisting my trap muscle up to my neck attachment. In the days leading up to it I got more and more tired and tense and thus made myself much more prone to injury and much more adrenaline fuelled.

It all makes perfect sense.

So stand down code orange, it's business as usual (what colour is that?).

And my note to self is not to bust a gut to get out the door for a holiday with the idea that any stress incurred in the getting away will be offset by the relaxation later. It won't. I will also book a chiro appointment before I depart anywhere in future.

*and for those who feel a bit dubious about chiros I will just say I used to be a bit meh about them too. I went to Frank from a place of sheer desperation and in my pre driving days I chose him by location alone. After 2 visits way back then he gave me my first clear run of weeks without a migraine for years and he has since proved his worth countless times. And while I am no pusher for chiros or anything else my experience with Frank has proved to me yet again that an open mind is king.

#and as one commenter said, that his name is Frank only makes me love him more. As does his recent purchase of a knitting machine, based on what he saw me bringing into the waiting room (and his desire to impress him mum and aunties), his decision to work part time to spend time at home with his family and build his own extension, his commitment to making his own wine and the way he treats my kids (somewhere between healer and big brother). L O V E. Oh and he employs the best masseuse evah, as my fellow craft campers can attest.

15 comments:

Jodie said...

Code green (thanks god)

Leonie said...

So happy for you that your Chiro has worked his magic for you and you can have a bit of a relax from the stress of working out what's going on with your health. Hope he can keep you on an even keel throughout your recovery.

kim at allconsuming said...

That his name is Frank makes me like him even more.

Ren said...

My neighbours and I call our local chiro 'magic fingers' cos of the same things you mention. Though I find that for some of my aches and pains an osteopath is better. I go to both, depending on what I think needs fixing.

Rachael said...

Can you tell me how much manipulation he does? I am seeing a 'gentle' chiro, and honestly I'm not feeling the love. I want someone as good as your Frank!

I'm sorry you missed out on your holidays but *sigh* of relief for it not being more serious

sooz said...

Rachael, Frank does some manipulation, but also a range of other things (including osteo type pushing and squeezing of muscles and ultrasound). I'm not sure how much qualifies as a lot, or if you mean all manipulations or just the neck cracking adjustments? He's the only chiro I've been to so I can't compare home to others, I just know whatever he does works for me in reducing symptoms. But if you ain't feeling the love you need to keep looking I reckon, I think I was very very lucky to chance upon a really good practitioner for me.

merrilymerrily said...

Phew! So glad to hear all of that! I went to a chiro for the first time out of sheer desperation too - in the form of a headache so bad I couldn't see. Fixed it in 30 seconds and brought my blood pressure down to acceptable limits. I find the osteo better for long term solutions for some reason, but can't beat the chiro for quick relief.

Ali said...

I am so pleased he is right about what it was and that he can help you. I'm a holiday preparation stresser too and yours is a cautionary tale.

sharon said...

so glad to hear it! must get Frank's name & number from you...

Di said...

Oh my lord- you have been through the wringer lately. What a godsend Frank is. Wish I knew of one so good over our side of town! I hope that you continue to recover, and that we can all enjoy a RELAXING craft weekend...

shizzknits said...

OMGosh so glad that it was just a torn muscle. I agree that a good chiro (and massage therapist) is worth their weight in gold. "Regular" doctors aren't always the most helpful...
Take it easy and recover soon!

NessaKnits said...

Every suburb needs a Frank clone now.

sueeeus said...

Such good news. I'm so relieved! And jealous, even, of your Frank. I've tried several chiros, and none have been any good. I'm so glad that you've found one who IS!!

iLa said...

Hi! I am following your blog now and then and I was still thinking you were in New Zealand so I was not checking your blog knowing you would be gone for a while. Then this morning I checked!
I hope you are doing better now and wish to you all the best and lots of relax.
Take care!
iLa

Elizabeth said...

Delurking to say really, really glad you are OK. Open minds and all that but do take it seriously when the doctors are worried. Think about having a MRI anyway - my Mum worked in acquired-brain-injury-services and it might be a good idea to try and find out if you went through a TIA (tranisent ischaemic attack - not a stroke, doesn't cause damage, but can be a precursor).