Friday, 15 October 2010

ta da

So we have garment.
While there is much to learn from and criticise, as a first garment off the machine with my own devised pattern, I am very happy indeed. (And I blocked it again after these photos and it looks even better!) I think it will get used, which is what it is all about. And it only used about $20 of pure wool yarn!
kimono cardi

The design is based on a lovely hand knit pattern by my even lovelier friend Di that's been on my to do list for a long time. Mainly I didn't knit it because there was just too much endless stockinette and 1x1 rib to do, which is just perfect for the machine. I did modify the design from her original in a few ways too so it didn't end up looking so much like a copy. I love the striped effect I got combining yarns, that was a tip from my friend Amanda, I tell you these machine knitters have been so generous in teaching me!
kimono cardi
With Di's permission I have published the pattern, or rather the schematic and method, for free over on Ravelry (if you want it and aren't a rav user, just email me). It's just in my size (about an aussie 18,  with a lot of positive ease) but the method would be so so easy to apply to any measurements.

My head is now exploding with ideas for other things to knit - oh my wordy yes. Lucky I bought up all that garage sale yarn to experiment with :-) I keep thinking up questions about how to do certain things with the machine - can I do this, why do I need to do that, how could I make this work...it is thrilling and fun and very loud in my head right now.

And in other news, I am praising the internets most highly and rejoicing most mightily because after my last post I received an email from a reader who was looking to part with a much loved Singer 200D. Oh dream machine! Can you believe it? And as a consequence I was able to make someone else happy by passing on the machine I bought at the garage sale, so really it's just like the perfect dance.

Sigh. I just love a happy ending.

10 comments:

sampling said...

Congratulations!
It looks fabulous and I can't wait to try it out as well.

t does wool said...

no,no....this looks fabulous...and instant gratification in a way..beautiful suze~

froginthepond said...

It looks so gorgeous - congratulations on all the learning and living.

Jodie said...

I love it - but it is the outsidey kind of semams that ae killing me.

Jodie said...

Oh and I obviously can't spell. Please delete the previous comment if it shits you.

Anonymous said...

It looks fabulous! Would love to see it in a different colourway,
Corina

Jo said...

It is great, you should feel proud, and excited for all the adventures yet to come!!

travellersyarn said...

Wow, now you have me motivated to find some machine knitting lessons so that I can actually use mine (which is a brother mid-gauge). Your cardigan looks amazing!

Tania said...

Don't think I haven't been keeping abreast of all this machine knitting bizzo. I knew this was going to happen. 'Fess up. You're lying awake at night dreaming up all sorts of wheel reinvention.

That shouldery thing is the absolute winner-bit for me.

Are the sticks sporting cobwebs?

Crafty Mama said...

I am very impressed!! I too managed to relieve someone of their old Singer knitting machine. I took it to last years Crafty Mamas retreat, swore at the whole time, and it now lives under my bed. I think mine is possessed actually. :)