Sunday, 19 September 2010

down the rabbit hole

gold stoleI'm sinking deeper by the second.


I'm wanting and needing new tools, including special oil invented in the second world war for cleaning guns (and wounds).

I'm looking at yarn spun on cones measured in the thousands of meters and classified in a whole new terminology.

I'm a member of a guild for goodness sake.

And I feel in turns excited and inspired and full of energy, and then frustrated and overwhelmed. And every time I think I've got it, things either go completely haywire or I find myself in front of yet another doorway and I realise all over again how much more there is to learn. There is the ever present danger of burn out.

gold stole
But with each new success, like this exquisite golden silk stole, I am drawn ever deeper. A kilometre of yarn knitted in under an hour with not one single error, catch, tangle, broken end or frustration. And the resulting fabric is like super soft spun gold.


It is destined for a fundraiser at Amy's school and I really hope it captures someone's heart (and wallet!) and makes them happy.

I could go crazy on silk after this outing, pumping out miles of slippery smooth, machine loving lace fabric. This one is dyed by Knitabulous and I will be keeping an eagle eye on her shop for more.

But in the spirit of the rabbit warren that is this new terrain, the arch angel that is Christine threw me a curve ball while pulling the Singer apart on Friday and cleaning all the needles by showing me that you can also weave into the knitting.


I only did a tiny sample before my head started swimming, not just with weaving possibilities but with that thing that happens when you are on the initial steep ascent of the learning curve - how much more is there out there I don't know about?!

machine knit weavingmachine knit weaving

On the non machine knitting front (as small and insignificant as it may seem) life has been hurtling along. There's some major outside infrastructure works going on out back destined to provide the bloke a good place to do the dirty outside work his study can't house. It is needed and good and useful but I'm also feeling a little sad to see yet another chunk of the garden given over to man made structures and realise that in the last few years we have effectively halved our backyard area to make way for the monster bedroom and outdoor work area. And most tragically I can't seem to find a place for raspberries any more which is very sad indeed.

I'm planning a fairly substantial workroom makeover too, designed to address a whole stack of problems I've been working around for way too long. I'm not very good at the interior decor thing and the big picture solutions but I've determined it is worthy of attention since I spend a lot of time in here and productivity is key. I really need to get over the make do and incremental improvements and learn to recognise that sometimes I need to think bigger.

12 comments:

Jodie said...

How do you sleep at nights?

froginthepond said...

My head has begun to spin out of sympathy.

Donyale said...

I've been watching this with interest. I have 3 machines I inherited stashed in a cupboard. Every week I think that I will get them out and start something.....but its the exact trip that you are on is what holds me back. Enjoy....I'm going to watch from the sidelines for a bit.

Nikki said...

I'll be watching this one closely.... clinging to the edge of the rabbithole.

kath / AliaK said...

this is exquisite! yes every field & sub-field seems to have multiple layers and you wonder at times whether you'll ever know more. but it's a fun journey

Angela said...

Oh Sooz! You've inspired me to run out and buy a knitting machine. Now I just have to set it up and start practising. Funnily enough, I was given a weaving supplement book with the machine - all the possibilities are blowing my mind too!

knitabulous said...

"A kilometre of yarn knitted in under an hour with not one single error, catch, tangle, broken end or frustration."

Under an hour! It takes me three months to knit a kilometre of laceweight. Now I want a machine too.

Incredibly beautiful photos, I got all warm and fuzzy inside looking at them.

kath / AliaK said...

so excited, I just won an ebay auction for a singer 321 knitting machine & ribber. hope it works! it was $52, maybe because it was pickup in sydney (lucky i live in sydney). the melbourne/vic ones seem to go for higher prices ($355 the other night)

michelle said...

So glad you reached an accord wit the knitting machine. Mine is dormant - after a frenzied and expensive setting up and a frustrating getting to know, followed by errors and errors and gradual dormancy. I wonder if it was just that my Passap was difficult. It made me feel like a complete dolt.

There is a little thrill in visitng chemist after chemist looking for the right stuff (forgotten what it's called). They have it you know - they just arn't supposed to hand it over I discovered, after an impassioned visit to one and explaining what I needed it for..... Suspicious bastards. ;)

sooz said...

Michelle, a very big part of the positives of my experience have been based on the presence of the machine knitters group, and especially the leader, Christine. The simple act of a thorough clean made a great difference to mine, as has a general agreement to only make things the machine is willing to make - I haven't yet tried anything complicated or large scale or in challenging yarn. And even with all that there has been plenty of frustration. If it weren't for the general amazement of the speed I think I would have given up too. And also everyone told me before I started how awful their experiences were and how quickly I would give up so I think I had low expectations anmd something to prove ;-)

eeloh said...

Tell 'em a hookah-smoking caterpillar has given you the call...

I think we're looking at a knitting machine led economic recovery here.

Jo Windmill said...

My word, you are getting extremely industri-ous!!I laughed at your hand-knitting reference, as "small and insignificant".
Enjoy the new growing obsession!