Monday, 23 August 2010

first reactions

I sat down and started a long and rambling, sometimes angry post on Sunday morning. A perfectly reasonable way to greet the dawning of political chaos after our woeful election results.

But the truth is I'm not really clear on what I want to say and haven't really had the time to fully contemplate it and I think it is important enough for me to uncharacteristically wait a bit.

But in the mean time I have to share that the Ingenue jumper (photos to follow) has had its first wearing and is deemed a success. It is not perfect - basically it is a bit too big. All my instincts about those big underarm cast ons should have been followed. If I'd lost 8 or 10 stitches there the jumper would be pretty much a perfect fit. I also overblocked the neck as well as cast off the hem and cuffs too loosely, but these things can be fixed and even without doing so it is an eminently wearable garment and the fabric is perfection in its super snuggly soft warmth.

I also cast on for the Alexandria cowl (pattern from Morris and Sons) because with all the election excitement and sadness I couldn't concentrate on counting the stitches in the skew socks. So I've abandoned project monogamy and will no doubt start feeling all anxious very soon.

I also made a cowl on the machine as part of my sampling yarns and stitches on the new machine kick. It's totally working for me.

And another thing. I read this post over on Sew Green and it was enough to get me off my butt and finally satisfy my curiosity about home made deodorant. I was skeptical. I have a sufficiently big issue with body odour to have tried and abandoned each and every alternative to aluminium based anti-perspirants I have ever come across. Some I found moderately effective and every now and then I return to using a deodorant crystal, and even though the stuff that's bad for me doesn't even do as good a job as I would like I always come back to it.

But can I say, this stuff actually works. It works on me BETTER than the stuff that's bad for you. I have had D do the sniff test to supplement my own observations and even after hard gardening work involving sweat and warm clothes and sleeping all night we are both in absolute agreement that it clearly does the job better than the other stuff. And I am absolutely gobsmacked. I don't get why or how, but it is cheaper, involves less waste, is completely non toxic and all of that pales into insignificance next to the real issue which is effectiveness.I will say the application is not as convenient as a roll on and adds an extra 10 or seconds to my morning routine, but maybe I can work out a better system for that...

To share the joy of this discovery I am going to make up a couple of sample pots and give them away. If you are keen to try it and are prepared to report back with your results and observations, leave a comment here by Wednesday night aussie time (25th) and I'll pick a few people out.

edited to add:
I should have specified this is a giveaway for aussies only - I figure it kind of defeats the purpose of being green if I then fly stuff halfway round the world when this product is super cheap and easy to make yourself! Please feel free to comment, but only put your hand up for the giveaway if you are a local, thanks.

edited yet again to say:
I have heard very good things about this recipe for shaving gel. Just saying.

22 comments:

Trash said...

Oooo! I'm interested! And ten additional seconds doesn't sound too great a hardship, even if it is per arm.

As for that election result - oy!

Leah said...

Sounds fantastic! I started to really think about what sort of deodrant I was using when I found my 2nd fibroadenoma this year. Have been searching for a natural alternative that is easy to make and easy to apply... this sounds like the one to start making!

Would love to try a sample pot, thanks Sooz!

Anna Bartlett said...

I always appreciate something that I haven't had to make. With two now-smelly boys in the house, would love to try this though. I think I'm more worried about their underarms than my own.

Please count me in.

Kelly said...

What a nice offer. I'm interested too, all the same reasons as you for wanting an effective alternative.

thriftingvignettist said...

Nothing like a giveaway to make me de-lurk. My ten-month-old nursing daughter recently started refusing to nurse if I use any sort of synthetic deodorant, which is just peachy since it's still about eighty degrees here. I've been using baking soda - seriously. It's not a great system.
I'm sorry to hear about your election.

Psylova said...

I'm definitely in the club of trying things and finding they don't work for me! And what a lovely way to spread the word. Count me in too, thanks!

jessica said...

hey lady, i've been using a similar recipe for about six months now. it is AWESOME. i've made little pots for at least half a dozen friends and everyone is as pleased with the results as i am. i like to use citrus essential oils for fragrance (sweet orange, lemon and grapefruit are good ones). i'm super happy you found this recipe. i make my own shaving gel too. let me know if you'd like the recipe.

Lindy in Brisbane said...

I'd love to give it a go. I've tried em all too. Can use just about anything in the winter, but once the sweaty weather starts (in about another 2 weeks), I just have to go back to the mass produced crap if I don't want to stink.

peskypixies said...

I am very interested in this and would love to give it a try!!!

Sarah said...

Oh that would be great! I have bookmarked a similar recipe and somehow just never got around to making it (two kids under three is my usual excuse and I am sticking to it).

But if yours works I will be spurred to finally make my own!

froginthepond said...

Oh, definitely interested in the deoderant. I've been trying to make up my mind about whether to go DIY - it sounds good for all the right reasons and trying this out could be just the kicker I need.

fi said...

i am really looking forward to your take on the shambles that was our collective weekend! And as for underarm destinkagde balms my hand is up:)

Rachael said...

I am looking forward to hearing your take on the weekend. I felt quite flat about it all myself until I took stock and realised this is what the rest of the world deal with (minority goverments), and that there were a couple of good things to come out of it all (the high Greens vote which should clearly indicate how a large portion of us feel about the two main party's positions on things).

Bianca Jae Makes Stuff said...

Would love to try some Suzie! Build up is here and I know you know what that means.....ewwwww lol! Thanks for sharing xox

Cass said...

I'd love to give it a try, I've often wondered how the home made stuff would go

Suzy said...

I would definitely be keen to try a sample pot - I've been intrigued by reports of homemade deo.

And boo hiss for the election non-result.

eeloh said...

Hell yeah, I'm in! especially with the cold sweat I've broken out in at the thought of the Mad Monk for PM!

Frogdancer said...

I'd be interested. I read that post on Sew Green and was definitely intrigued.

nikkishell said...

I've always meant to try making my own deodorant. I also think about making my own shaving cream every morning when i'm in the shower.
Where did you get your coconut oil?

angelina said...

hi soozs..didnt you at one time have knitted directions for a make your own body wash poof thing?
x

Paisley said...

I'm local and the deo alternative sounds interesting - I've thought about trying these things before, but never got round to making it up.

knittingrid said...

I made it and tried it, too, and love it. How About Orange has a variation on it, if anyone's curious about reading more tips and comments about.