Friday, 9 July 2010

over and over

back at work + D spending time at home + school holidays = confused brain


The shades of grey dyed yarn looked horrible knitted up in the swatch. I always underestimate how light a light shade looks and how much it dominates. So it took another dip in black and I'm much happier now. And I am up to row 5 of Ingenue! Yay! I am however, not on gauge and needing to do maths, poo, plus realised the pattern yardage is for a shortish jumper with 3/4 sleeves, and I have no aspirations for either...so hello, I now need extra yarn, poo poo poo. And a matching dye job, which should be monumentally challenging. I've written to all the aussies who have posmerino in their stash on Ravelry to see if they want to give some up, otherwise it's shipping from the US!


I've spent pretty much all my non knitting creative time in the last week working on this top. It really messed with my head. I didn't use a pattern and I had quite a few ideas, but they weren't really resolved and a few critical details were still blank. Combined with a few stupid mistakes, some bad luck type problems, a certain impatience to have it finished once all the problems surfaced and there was a lot of remake. I'm not 100% happy with the end result, nor how long it took!. I had a big puffy kind of collar in mind but I just couldn't get it to work.


What I do like is the pleat detail on the hems - I just can't seem to get enough of pleats and pintucks!


It is actually fully two tops, joined at the sleeve seam, and I love the over long tight sleeves that bunch up around my wrist and the pleated shorter sleeves over the top. I love that it is red red red and that as 2 layers of fine merino it is warm without being bulky, not to mention machine washable.

And that's pretty much it. Mostly I'm trying to get my head around starting my extra day a week at work next week. That would be the same week Amy goes back to school and I have two days of teaching back to back. So that should be easy, right?

I've also been doing a lot of cooking. There's been visitors and inspirations and new books for my birthday to inspire me. I have to say though I think some of the best efforts in the last week have come from the man's fair hand - the New York style meatloaf from Delicious June 2005 was absolutely everything you could ever want in a meatloaf and the Osso Buco from Food Safari was so fantastically packed full of flavour I can't begin to tell you. D says he didn't follow the recipe exactly, but whatever. I'm not really an osso buco fan generally and I licked my plate clean. Then had some more and licked the plate again. We had left overs on pasta the following night and it was great again. I cooked Smitten Kitchen's buttermilk raspberry cake, and the sticky lemon pudding from the same edition of Delicious as the meatloaf to use some of our excessive lime harvest.

Now you'll have to excuse me while I try and squeeze in a bit of extra sewing before the week is out. I think this impending work schedule has given me a bit of outfit anxiety...

10 comments:

peskypixies said...

busy busy girl!!!

Elizabeth said...

I love your red top! I enjoy reading about your creations.

LissyLouLou said...

A-MAZ-ZING red top. I love red red red and really special garments are all in the details. Gorgeous.

icicle said...

Yes! The pintucks and layers make that top and are flattering to those of us with layers of our own in that area. And merino, I love merino... very nice job.

jo said...

I love that top - i WANT that top - that top is FAB!! and as a fellow working mum with young kiddies i am in absolute awe of the amount of (georgeous, well-made) stuff you manage to get done. Kudos!

eeloh said...

the new blog header... is that like a microscopic view of the H1N1 virus? :-)

t does wool said...

Suze...I love that top...fabulous job.
you have been busy;))

sewjourn said...

Great top!!

Dianna Townsend said...

I love the top. I was hoping for a pattern. I love the layers, extra long sleeve. I want to make one.

Dianna Townsend said...

I love the top. I was hoping for a pattern. I would purchase it in a heartbeat. I love the uneven layers, the extra long sleeves and the entire overall look. I want to make one.