Wednesday, 30 June 2010

quick before I forget


I've been meaning to try my hand at these for a while and really they couldn't be easier. I'm writing to share and so I don't forget because there are surprisingly few recipes I could find out there. I made double this quantity and that saw me texting neighbours to offload excess! This lot makes 3 big or 4 medium sized okonomiyaki.

Crack an egg in a bigish bowl.
Add 3/4 cup of water or dashi or veg stock and give it a whisk.
Sift in a cup of flour and whisk until combined.
Using a big spoon mix in 1/4 small head of cabbage finely shredded - plus any other bits you like (I added a little bit of carrot and spring onion but meat, octopus etc are all OK).

Fry big spoonfuls in the fry pan with a litttle peanut oil over a medium to high heat, squishing out flat to make them pancake like.


Plate up with okonomiyaki or tonkatsu sauce (brown sauce) and a squiggle of kewpie mayonaise and cut into wedges pizza style.

1 comment:

Kate said...

Ahhhh! I *love* okonomiyaki but have never found anywhere that will cook it for me except once in Surfers Paradise of all places. Thank you, thank you, thank you!