Sunday, 4 April 2010

yet more legendary awesomeness

I haven't had a roll like this in months and months, but I have had another day of fabulously successful and productive sewing.


I finished off Amy's coat once she reluctantly agreed to my button choice.


I whipped up another pair of leggings for Amy using the ottobre licorice leggings pattern and a remnant of fabric I've had for over a decade (thereby proving that no piece of fabric is too small to be kept - I loved the print and although I never imagined back then in my childless days that less than a metre of printed jersey would ever be useful, it has been and fabulously so).


Another cap in a smaller size for a birthday gift tomorrow. Amy's choice (she's angling for a matching one of course). I'll do a spot of embroidery tonight to make it sparkle a little.


I love this layer on layer wrap stretch top. I will go a treat with the party skirt. Another remnant, one I bought recently at Rathdowne remnants to reward Amy for good behaviour (best $5 I ever spent and this top only used a bit over half of it!). I made the pattern up in the cutting.

I also refashioned this top - a printed jersey I adore, but when I made the original garment it was never right. The waist was too low so the wrap part sat wrong, the neck gaped, it was too big, too long - the whole shebang. So I finally pulled it apart and put it back together in more pleasing proportions.

And lastly, this skirt got a good going over. It started out at craft camp 2007, a beautiful embroidered eyelet linen in six panels with a stretchy lycra waistband. So I massively shortened it, took off the waistband, shaped each of the panels, added an invisible zip and I like it much better. I also think it is much more flattering! And extra points if you noticed that wee Amy in the above left photo is wearing the same T shirt as in yesterday's post, how's that for extended wear?!

I simply can't imagine what may arise tomorrow...

14 comments:

Kym said...

I love that winter coat! In fact it's all great. Oh to have your productiveness.

I've been reading your words for a little while and just wanted to say thank you for sharing. Seeing homemade clothes such as yours is what inspired me to have a go at making more clothes than I buy for my growing wee girls.

Violet and Rose said...

I am in absolute total awe of this and the previous two posts!

Ali said...

Oh, you are on such a roll. And your photos of Amy are gorgeous. You make me want to sew and sew.

Frogdancer said...

I love the way you airily said, "I made the pattern up in the cutting."

I could no more do that than fly. (without a plane.)

sooz said...

Thank you all muchly. I have felt a bit like I have been channelling such has been my success rate.

And frog I have to say, making up in the cutting harks back to when I started sewing and couldn't use a pattern to save myself. I don't dispute it is a great skill to have, but it has been built on many a tragic mistake, many years of trial and error, error and more error. Plus some fabrics are so super super stretchy that you have a very very wide margin for error!

Jodie said...

Sooz, you are flying. The coat and hat combo is fantastic and I love that yoga post photo.
May the weather continue to be on crafts side !

travellersyarn said...

What an amazingly productive burst.I love the coat and the wrap top. I need to clear off the dining table so that I can set up the sewing machine!

froginthepond said...

Loving this productive roll of sewing energy. Go you! My sewing is happening vicariously at the moment so this is awesome.

Nikki said...

Wow - you are a sewing MACHINE! What a burst of fabulousness.... Love the hat and coat combo.

Cass said...

Wow I love everything you've made especially the coat. Love the yoga shot too

flowerpress said...

Wow, I am so impressed by your skills. I wish I had half!
Looking forward to when you develop some (simple!) adult patterns to share.

Elizabeth said...

What a fabulous coat, it suits your daughter really well. Love ypur skirt too. How lkucky you are to be able to make and adjust things!

Colette said...

fabulous Suzie.

I'm in awe as well!

Lisa said...

that COAT!