Tuesday, 20 April 2010

suggestions please

I'm all sewn out* so it's no surprise it's time for a little knitting obsession. There's one more round and the bind off before the skew socks will be done and I'm more than half way through the couch knitting project so I'm scrambling for what I can cast on next.

This is what I know about the next project.
  1. It will be for me.
  2. It will keep me warm and it will be soft and comfortable.
  3. It will be knitted from my stash of posmerino that I will dye when the project is selected (tomorrow?). It will ideally be DK/8ply weight (although it could be a 10 ply/worsted if the pattern is right since I stashed both).
  4. It will probably be a cardigan, something that can be worn with just the buttons over the bust done up.
  5. I hope it will be knit from the neck down raglan all in one piece style.
  6. It will be flattering to a bigger busted bigger bellied bigger bottomed girl so it will be shaped and fitted without a lot of ease.
  7. It will not be boring and it may have some kind of feature at the neck - a collar perhaps - to draw attention to my delightfully pretty face.
  8. It will quite possibly be red.
  9. It may have been modified from the original pattern, but it will start off as a pattern I can get my hands on via the internet or through my current collection of magazines (IK, Yarn) and books (custom knits, big girl knits, weekend knitting, knitting without tears, the knitters almanac) or some other method close at hand.
So far I have been looking at this, this, this, this, this, this (manu the top one), this, this, this, this, this, this, and about 100 others and getting inspiration aplenty, but answers not at all.

So I open the door to your opinions, recommendations, votes and general wisdom on patterns and styles and brilliant ideas about what might suit me. I thank you in advance.

*I'm not counting a very cute hat in the current edition of Ottobre that came through the mail slot last night. Tis but a trifle.

14 comments:

flamehair said...

Oh yes I saw that hat when I was flicking through the preview on the Ottobre site recently. And I'd just decided not buy any more for a while too. :/

pixie said...

how about this??
http://www.madelinetosh.com/patterns-tea-leaves-cardigan.html

I am making it at present for myself and using 8 ply.

here is much better pics of it.
http://www.soulemama.com/soulemama/2010/02/tea-leaves.html

sooz said...

Oh Pixie thank you! I had seen tea leaves but forgotten about it (and I quite like the garter yoke one on Amanda's post too!). Definitely a contender....

pixie said...

I first saw this at Soulemamas
.......if I had seen the original patten I doubt I would have made it..
it just doesnt show up the yoke detail enough..

Psylova said...

Yep, I'll second/third/whatever the other comments - you're list read off as a tea leaves description. http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/tea-leaves-cardigan

icicle said...

February Lady's Sweater?
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/february-lady-sweater
My mom just finished one for me (whilst I knit for my kid, oh the irony!) and it's actually rather flattering in a larger size. Also, it's done up in worsted weight, top down, garter yoke to draw the eye, cardy with top buttons, simple but interesting lace.

Stitch Sista said...

Hello, new reader, long time knitter here ;), I personally love the sunrise cardy, the manu is nice, the tangled yoke, and yes feburary lady sweater. Oh and that rhombus thing...as you can see I would have the exact same dilemna you have...and couldn't decide lol.

Triskele said...

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/shalom-cardigan

There are some great modifications for this one. I've added some sleeves and a few more buttons similar to another by Amanda - and a pocket. I can't live without at least one pocket!

my version : http://www.ravelry.com/projects/deestroys/shalom-cardigan

Paisley said...

In addition to Tea Leaves (which I think is just utterly lovely), might I also suggest:
Yoked Cardigan: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/yoked-cardigan
and
Monday Morning Cardigan: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/monday-morning-cardigan (not top-down, but it is seamless)

froginthepond said...

I liked the idea of festive given the possibilities with layering, playing around with loose and structured forms in the one outfit.

Vine yoke strikes as an unusual and striking approach to yoke detail and therefore good (!).

Also, I saw wisteria by kate gilbert when I had a look a sunrise. I preferred that one (she ways with the air of someone who will not be making the decision).

travellersyarn said...

I lurve the Assemblage cardigan, and think that it has high flattery potential.

I think that the Sunrise Circle is nearly impossible to make longer (which has always precluded me knitting it).

Ali said...

Have just added the Manu and Lily cardigans to my ravelry queue. Damn. Though I can really see you in the Rhombus wrap.

kim at allconsuming said...

well AB is downloading patterns for making a snuggie, so there's always that...

MildlyCrafty said...

Hard to make a decision isn't it! There are so many lovely patterns out there. I love the sunrise circle jacket but the instructions are a bit scary. Manu is gorgeous too. And I agree with Stitch Sista that Tangled Yoke would be a good choice too.