Sunday, 11 April 2010

gyoza


I don't know why I haven't made these before - very easy and quick and a big hit with the whole family. I read a few recipes before I tried making them, but I didn't follow any really closely I was amazed how closely they tasted to ones I'd had in restaurants. I made 30 and froze half for next time (the photo is one I pulled from the freezer because we ate all the cooked ones before I thought about taking a picture!).

300gms pork mince
small hand full of garlic chives cut very small
half a clove of garlic very finely chopped
a tiny nub of ginger very finely chopped
2 whole water chestnuts finely chopped (I'll use more next time!)
1 tsp sesame oil
2 tsp soy sauce
1 packet of 30 wrappers (I used this brand from the supermarket)
1 tbs vegetable oil

Mix all the ingredients except wrappers and veg oil. Lay out the wrapper, wet all around the rim with wet fingers and put a teaspoon of mince mix in centre. fold in half and pinch around the rim to close.

Heat veg oil over high heat in a frypan and put the gyozas in. When nicely brown on bottom, lower heat and add a bit of water (about 1/4 cup) and put lid on for 10 or so mins until water all absorbed. Serve with dipping sauce of 2:1 rice vinegar to soy sauce with a few drops of sesame oil.

7 comments:

Purple Paisley Patch said...

YUM!!! I absolutely love these, thanks so much for the recipe, I'll have to have a go at making them myself. :-)

Bree said...

MASSIVE in our house too. I also add equal amounts chopped green prawns and pork mince, 1/4 very finely chopped and boiled til tender chinese cabbage, 6 soaked and finely chopped shataki mushrooms and bunch chopped corriander. A girlfriend is married to a chef!! He dips in soy but I make a mix with 1/2 soy, 1/2 lemon juice. Delux! Try it.
Thanks for a great blog too!

Ali said...

I was addicted to these when we lived in Japan. Must remeber to check out the oriental grocers for wrappers...

t does wool said...

oh they look delicious!!!!

Ren said...

I am so making these for Sunday's Mother's Group Family Catch Up that I'm going to.

blackbird said...

Oh! That sounds so simple and must be SO good!

Happydacks said...

I love Gyoza, I must have a go, the kids would scoff these!