Friday, 26 March 2010

more scraps and snippets


The pants refit project progresses, some packed away, others in pieces all over the work room awaiting reassembly, my refitted home made jeans now very much improved are all finished except for a jeans button I need to get from the shops (because you can't reuse one that's already been hammered into place). And I finally hemmed the lux jeans I bought too so it all feels like I'm flying.


I've been reading quite a bit and getting loads out of it. It's funny how sometimes these more detailed, more complex examinations seem all too hard, and at other moments they hit you right between the eyes, make sense and are quite the inspiration. I started re-drafting my pattern blocks about this time last year and somehow it just wasn't gelling, but now I feel like I just want to work on this all the time. I don't know what's changed, but something sure has. My confidence has grown exponentially in the last few weeks.


I received an incredibly exciting and timely gift, given all that's going on in the work room. This dress maker's dummy belonged to David's grandmother. It is beautifully made in the real old school way - not a scrap of plastic or polyester in sight - and while it has seen much use it is absolutely perfectly sturdy and well formed. Fully extended it is still way too small for me, but I intend to make a valiant attempt to get it padded up to my size and shape. Just having it in the room makes me a bit excited, and I feel so lucky! And I hear a whole load of vintage patterns (many dating back to the 20's!!), boxes of buttons, trims and so on are not far behind when next we trek out to D's folk's place. Although I know many of the patterns won't be right for me I am dead keen to see them preserved, used, loved. No doubt there will be a post coming this way soon.


The second last of the swap tea towels arrived and I am loving loving loving it! All the way from Bespoke Uprising in Canada - thank you :-) I sense I may need to lose a few dollars Roisin's way very soon...

And I had a chat to my neighbour today while he was waiting for his electrician and made him a cup of tea. And when I went out later I found this on my doorstep. Cripes, the joy of the community never grows old. I dropped a few off down the road when I picked up Amy from her end of term play date and then scoffed a half dozen right out of the box. Thanks Bob.

My success dyeing the light brown jeans darkest grey (seen here in one of my what i wore today set photos - for reference the previous colour can be seen in this photo here) spurred me on to finally tackle the cone of lace weight cashmere that dropped into my possession last year. I realise now I never photographed it when I got it, which strikes me as very odd, but it was a white/light grey marle twist. I wasn't at all convinced I liked the effect for a lace weight - it just didn't seem the right look for a lace shawl and 120gm of pure cashmere lace weight seemed like such an incredible luxury I was too scared to do anything more with it. So I pulled it out, skeined it up off the cone and very timidly washed it and lowered it into the dye pot.


I am thrilled to find to marle remains, though both strands are now grey, the difference between them is clearly visible in some places and just hinted at in others. My fear of felting meant I didn't so much as poke it, so the dye has taken quite unevenly, from a light grey to a true black, but I think it will knit up nicely. I'll swatch and then toss up some potential projects...

And I am looking forward with great excitement to this soiree tomorrow night. Tim Rogers!! I've been to night events at the zoo before and have thoroughly enjoyed them, even when I didn't really expect to. It's such a fabulous venue, the gardens are so beautiful and the presence of the animals adds a whole new element, but most importantly there is a certain kind of vibe that you don't much see with live music. Perhaps because we're all shut in together, perhaps because you have to make the choice and book ahead. Perhaps because kids are welcome. Whatever the reason, the crowd is always lovely. Everyone joins in, everyone is nice, everyone is smiling and relaxed. Sigh. It's going to be ACE!!!

2 comments:

Jodie said...

Freak me out !
I am going to be there tomorrow too.....

eeloh said...

Patterns from the 20s? Ah Soozs, you married darn well!