Since getting back from Sydney this fabric (Hot Wire from Tessuti fabrics) has been burning a hole in my metaphorical pocket. Literally keeping me awake at night.
The reasons for my excitement are many, but it all boils down to this - it's an experiment. A very different kind of fabric, unsewn before by me, to make garments not really like things I normally make. The chance for failure looms large, the potential rewards of charting new territory irresistible.
So yesterday after procrastinating a fair while with chores and mending and other distractions (all the while thinking and edging closer) I cut into the Hot Wire. I won't pretend I wasn't nervous but it quickly became obvious that I need not have been. It sews like a dream. The overlocker loved it (nice tight seams with the 4 thread and no mucking about with tension and whatnot) and while I needed to adjust the fit a couple of times because it is so stretchy that the garments I was using as a rough sizing guide were too big, it took the alterations without a problem.
I started with a basic long sleeve T. I used another tighter fitting one as the basic model but I needed to make a bit smaller again.
I used bands and bound the neck, sleeves and hem because I figured this is going to be a garment that gets a lot of wear and I wanted it to stand up to a lot of work. I also wanted it to look 'neat' enough to wear to work. Very very happy.
Next up I made a cowl neck vest, based loosely on a tutorial by Kirsten Johnstone in Mixtape Issue 2 (November 2007).
This is super super simple to make and in a nice stretchy fabric you really can't go wrong. Again I had to take the first cut in a bit because this fabric really looks best with a bit of negative ease.
Again I bound the arm holes - at least in part to provide a bit of structure and gathering around the front bust line - but I simply overlock finished the neck and hem.
Worn together I like the two different finishing details.
I started with 2.5m of hot wire, and I still have enough for a small tank top I think. I will definitely be off to get some in black and create a fantastic set of mix and match tops. Now that I've got the confidence to sew with it, and know a bit more about cutting sizes, I think I might try something a bit more interesting and adventurous in the black overtop.
Perhaps something inspired by this book...and then, perhaps I'll get another colour and try something even more adventurous...