Sunday, 24 January 2010

taking flight



My first finished knit for 2010 is appropriately wing like. I will be sending it off tomorrow along with the quilt to my cousin's wife. Like the quilt, I am very pleased with this - gorgeous yarn, lovely pattern - and would be happy to keep it for myself. But I am pretty sure she will like it too, and that receiving it will make her feel loved and happy, which is just what I would be hoping for.

It never ceases to amaze me how much blocking really makes a knit, that you take this


do this


and get this


The pattern is Ishbel (available as part of this pattern collection) and it's well written, easy to follow and has words and charts for both types of brains. It comes in 2 sizes and this is the large, though I did more stocking stitch before I started the lace (because I'm stupid) and then did less lace to keep it the same overall size. If I was making it for me I think I would like it to be bigger still, which would be easy enough to do.

The yarn is Kiama 50% silk 50% merino, from the Yarn Workshop, and this one was dyed for me by Ingrid. It was lovely to knit and final fabric is light and warm and deliciously soft. Amazingly the whole shawl took only 2 rows over a single skein - and I could easily have cribbed the pattern to fit it into a single skein, which I may well do to use the other 2 rows less than a single skein. It took a three and a half weeks to knit (in the tropics where I don't knit much), so it's also very achievable!

I will definitely be knitting this pattern and yarn again and would recommend them both!

10 comments:

thornberry said...

It's absolutely perfect. You are making me consider taking up knitting just so I can make one! A great example of the magic of blocking too (and a prod to make me block a top I finished crocheting months ago). I'm sure that she will completely love it.

trasha said...

Wow! Just by blocking it changes colour!

sue said...

I just finished knitting the smaller Ishbel but I really think the larger one would be more appropriate for me. Was your skein 100gm one for the larger size. It looks so beautiful after blocking too. I may have to dunk mine in some water and give it a proper soaking and pinning instead of using the steam iron.

sooz said...

Yes Sue, 100gm plus two rows from a second skein for the larger - much less yardage than the pattern says! And blocking is totally worth it!

Sarah said...

Just to say good luck for your move Sooz and I think the making you have done for your cousin and his wife is fantastic. Always enjoy reading your blog and although I have never left anyone a comment before,EVER,just wanted to let you know I really enjoy reading your work and thoughts. Loved the Darwin post.

sooz said...

Wow - thanks Sarah! An outed lurker is a very special treat!

Pearly Queen said...

Such a gorgeous colour! BTW - when you block like this, what happens when the recipient washes the article? Do they have to send it back for re-blocking? :-)

sooz said...

Sadly yes, a wash undoes the beauty of blocking. But a shawl isn't washed much (especially when owned by an elegant childless lady!). It can be partially blocked just by stretching it out and drying it flat and by ironing, but pinning is definitely the best for lace.

travellersyarn said...

Lovely to see it knitted up so quickly! It looks much better than I could have envisioned, a credit to your knitting.

Hope the move goes smoothly for you.

Leonie said...

Love the shawl and I am sure the childless, elegant lady will truly appreciate your efforts on her behalf. Good luck for the move.