Thursday, 10 December 2009

mixin' it

So at the moment I am thinking about what I'll write for the next issue of Mixtape zine.

A few weeks ago it seemed all of blog land was buzzing with the release of issue 11 and while I received and (as usual) loved my copy I wasn't quite sure I had anything to say that was any different from anyone else, so I said nought.

But when I get to the time when I start to think about what I want to put in the next issue, that's when all the stuff I think and feel about mixtape comes up for me. I contribute to pretty much every issue of mixtape, just like I was forever making and swapping mixtapes in the days pre-CD.

I love that Justine, and in earlier days Nichola too took everyday accessible life stuff and brought it together in a great little low tech package. I love that they just did it, that they worked like crazy on it and took it to the world. And as it continues to grow and Justine continues to expand what mixtape is and does it has never lost it's handmade appeal. It gets better and better but it hasn't left its past behind.

So for issue 12 I'm going to put a tutorial together. The tutorials in past issues have always been favourites of mine and it's time I contributed to the how to. Now all I have to do is work out what I will be how to-ing about...

4 comments:

QuiltingFitzy said...

How about the obvious.."How to "do" a tutorial?" There are SO many tutorials out there that I stop in mid-stream because of background noise, mic issues, uneven sound levels, poor light & poor light balance, etc, etc.!"

sooz said...

OMG Fitzy! Is it just me or is that a totally brilliant idea! Do you mind if I steal it??

62cherry said...

oh sooz i just had a tear - maybe pregnancy hormones, but such beautiful words - thanks xxxxx

oh baby girl it will be!

sooz said...

Oh Jus you silly bag of hormones :-) Nothing that isn't entirely deserved and I don't feel I have managed to capture the real treasure of mixtape at all. I wanted to say something more than just gush about how great it is - not because it isn't but because it is really special too. On one level it is so ordinary, so real, so like the things I did as a teenager, but on another it is all the things those things aren't - ordinary without a hint of boring or mundane, real without being scary or confronting, and so nostalgic of my youth but without the angst or heartache or amateurish awkwardness. Just a purity of intent, a celebration of joy, a toast to our amazing collective abilities and insights. See? now I am really crapping on...