Monday, 23 November 2009

my creative space



I haven't done this for a while, this creative space thing. A lovely little gig organised by Kirsty.



But it is good to do because it got me thinking about a few things. Things about creative spaces, and creativity and me...
  1. It is entirely apt that I couldn't get both these spaces in the one frame. I mean they are right beside each other and I move between them in a fairly fluid way and yet they are distinct and separate. The sitting in front of the computer, the reading and writing and thinking space engages a whole different part of me to the sewing machine, doing, making place. And it marks a similar and equally fluid and complex distinction between work and play. But that's another post.
  2. I love my storage and organising systems, but they tend to break down when I am busy. I have these cycles where I start off clean and organised, putting things in their rightful places as I go and then as demands on me (and my level of absorption in the task) escalates there is a corresponding decline in my devotion to maintaining order. What you see here is the result of weeks of fairly pressured work on both sides of the office. A major clean up was done the minute my deadlines were met and it is now positively transformed.
  3. While I have this dedicated space, for which I am truly grateful, the truth is my creative space often travels with me. Right now the lap top is on the kitchen table so I can write whilst cajoling a small lad to eat his breakfast and make multiple trips to the kitchen to help a girl reach the yoghurt in the fridge, get the lid off the honey and so on and so forth. Similarly the creative space is often overrun with children and their various activities. Sometimes I envy D and his capacity to enforce a no kids in the office rule, but really if I stuck to a hard line I'd get a lot less done.
  4. I have always felt that good tools are important. While there's always a way if there is will, and in a pinch much can be improvised, good tools definitely improve both the quality of the outcomes and the efficiency in getting there. This creative space was not furnished by me (except of course the sewing cabinet which does a fine job even if it isn't exactly pretty), so I have thought a bit about what I like and don't like about it. The return to Melbourne will see me starting fresh in my creative space and I am looking forward to the chance to deck it out. One thing I know I need to deal with is the sad death of my planet lamp - for me the epitome of desk top lighting since I was a kid (it dates me, doesn't it?). But time to move on and get some new lighting. I'm thinking this. I was kind of tempted by their lamp ipod dock combos too, but now I have an ipod speaker set of some note, I think not. I'm also thinking about more wall based storage, and making better use of some of my favourite storage vessels. Because I labour under the illusion that better storage will prevent the inevitable downward spiral into squalor. I also harbour a dream for a better sewing machine, but it irks me considerably that the only things I really want to upgrade - the power of the motor and size of the neck - entails paying a lot for a bazzilion electronic stitches I don't want. And I continue to obsess about a dress form, but am still struggling to get my head around the issues.
  5. And now that the decks are clear and my last major jag of projects complete I am wondering what will turn up next? I am watching this space.

3 comments:

Jodie said...

I work in the same way - always yearning for just the perfect storage item that will stop the descent into full blown chaos.
I like to start each new project in a state of clean, but as it progresses - all hell breaks loose and I have to clean up again at the end - possible weeks later...

t does wool said...

I adore your light filled creative space...

Clementine's Shoes said...

I do believe it isn't an illusion that good storage lessens squallor and mess. The right storage, the right arrangement of stuff, in access when and where you need it, can make a HUGE difference to what you can do and can get done.