Thursday, 29 October 2009

the trouble with learning to drive when you are older

is you can't blame stupid stuff on your youth. Locked the keys in the car today. Was very very grateful to a friend's partner who popped the door with packing tape (yay for old and insecure cars!) and saved me from admitting to the QAC that I don't know our membership number because it was in D's wallet when it was stolen from the car the last time someone popped the door without the keys (or our permission).


Finally started some drugs because 12 days is too fucking long to have tonsillitis. Don't feel like such a whiney woos since the GP said two of her patients had been sent to hospital with this viral tonsillitis because their swallowing was so painful they had stopped altogether and become dehydrated. So I expect better tomorrows real soon.

Last week I picked up some interesting fabric in the half price bin out the front of the town fabric store. I nearly didn't bother because it was white, but when I looked closely I realised it had an interesting texture with random patches of puckering in the weave, creating an effect a little reminiscent of the quagmire wool from Tessutis I used for my favourite jacket. So I chucked it in the wash with a packet of dylon black dye and a black T-shirt to try and reduce the strength of the dye and bring it down to a grey. And as it was turning I thought, wouldn't it be good if the denser patches took the dye differently to the rest...


I was very happy to discover that this was exactly what happened. In this photo the lighter areas look quite blue and much lighter so the whole effect is not quite this stark, but the contrast is indeed there. Plus the seersucker effect around the puckers that had been pressed flat in the production process have popped up, making the whole thing very lumpy and sculptural. Interesting no?

Immediately thought about bubble skirts and flowy dresses and the same effect but in other colours...and then kicked myself for only buying 2 m. So I headed back today and bought the rest of the roll and another lot of dye and tomorrow I'm going again. So much fun!


And there's other stuff too, but well, I'm not sure right now that it is....

7 comments:

shizzknits said...

Hopefully the antibiotics get you feeeling better soon. I has a NASTY sinus infection that only disappeared with taking the horse-pills the doc prescribed. It was my first time in 8 yrs taking antibiotics, but I finally started feeling better after the second day.
Tonsillitis is not fun (had that when I was younger)- feel better soon!

no blog norma said...

that looks great.hope you are back on track quick sticks. try snorting some boiled water and salt mix, or put in spray thingy ,gross i know !

Jodie said...

Now that is awesome ! Love the splattery ,spidery whatsit effect of the darker bits.

Leonie said...

The fabricx is looking great, such an interesting textured effect now that it's washed. What other colours are you going to be doing?

Hope the tonsilitis clears up soon, it can be such a bugger.

Claire said...

Love the fabric and good thinking - going back to get the rest of the bolt.

I hope the medication kicks that tonsillitis in the bum very, very soon!

frog said...

You waited this long for drugs?! My brother was 12 hours away from a tracheotomy when he realised his tonsillitis was amazingly serious. Cos that's the kind of anecdote you don't need right now.

Suse said...

Love the fabric. Like a Rorschach inkblot test!