Thursday, 22 October 2009

I went to see a film

And I really hated it.

Which doesn't happen too much to me. Spending 4 prime years of my life studying film has given me the capacity to see a film through many lenses, and to find something redeemable in pretty much anything - if not the film then certainly in the insights it may give as a cultural artifact. Occasionally I see something I think is poorly made, or with a thin plot or unwisely cast or a rip off of someone else's work, but in the same way that you can enjoy the odd junk food meal, a less than perfect film is not a wasted experience.

But beautiful landscapes (of which there are many in this film) were not enough to make me feel like I wouldn't rather have been home asleep.

So that would be, you know, no stars from me.

7 comments:

Turning Japanese said...

I don't think I could see it!! I only watched half the preview and had to stop...
Am planning to go see Roller Derby film and then actual real Roller Derby. A girl I went to school with does it. I am excited!

Stomper Girl said...

I was kind of interested in this film because of working for Weddings Parties Anything - they have this massively good song about the film's topic so I feel like I know the subject matter. But don't bother you reckon?

Kate said...

Was it just boring? Or was it bad. I must say, it doesn't tempt me at all. And it definintely won't pass the Bechdel test, I assume?

sooz said...

I think it was kind of boring Kate. I mean as Stomper alludes there is interesting material in this true story and whether they were indeed desperate and ate each other to survive or whether one or more of them was actually a cannibal, and may or may not have pre planned the whole thing just to have a chance to eat other people or whether one or more of them caught some kind of cannibalism as a result of eating another person...all interesting questions which I don't feel the film explored at all.

So yeah, boring but with an extra serve of brutal sickening axe wielding flesh slurping misery.

sooz said...

By comparison the roller derby film, Whit It, is a total sensation and I loved it on every level.

Clementine's Shoes said...

It got rather mixed and strong responses from the Movie Show from memory. Have to say it didn't strike me as a must see.
Also keep on getting this weird Twitter API pop up whenever I open your blog- wants a sign in to twitter for some reason. May just be my browser (mozilla) which seems to be a bit glitchy at the moment..
Also reading more recent posts, hope that some drugs start to do you good some time very soon, and that D makes a speedy recovery.

Gail said...

I can't get past the desire of the film makers to see cannibalism as a noble experience.