Thursday, 22 October 2009

d's red rib socks (a day late)


d's red rib socks, originally uploaded by Soozs.

Very happy with these, as is the man of the house who now has three pairs of hand knit socks (the first pair still going strong after two and a half years of heavy use - way to go Lion Brand sock yarn!). They are as vanilla as they come, a simple 2x1 rib, short row heel and toe made using the old universal toe up sock formula. Here they are shown on my feet (since the bloke is still asleep at 5am when these were taken) and the heel is a little slacker than they are on the recipient's foot.

For the first time I tried out Elizabeth Zimmerman's stretchy sewn bind off and I will never finish socks any other way. Totally brilliant and why the heck did it take me so long to uncover it? Thank you to those who led the way.

Also super happy with the yarn, which I dyed and then overdyed a good number of months later when I decided I really wasn't happy with it. It is knittery chubby sock merino/nylon and I dyed it using food colour in the microwave. Brilliant, cheap, safe, quick...

Have just turned the heel on the Monkey socks (well, my toe up no purl version anyway), which are going swimmingly. Great stitch pattern. Love this yarn too - also knittery chubby and dyed (and overdyed) at the same time as the one I used for D's reds - which I am calling deep sea diving. I did the foot in 2.25mm bamboo DPNS so I could sneak them on the plane, but since I broke one yesterday, I've had to switch up to my Addi turbos at 2.5mm for the leg. Hopefully by the time I get to sock number two some replacement 2.25mm will have arrived from Hong Kong. (Speaking of which, read this post about the crazy dealings behind the scenes in the knit business world. And while you are there consider investing in a bit of Ingrid's gorgeous yarn so she doesn't have to move it all when she relocates.)

Amy has already claimed ownership of the undyed sock yarn I bought to take to craft camp and chosen her colourway for some knee high socks. Ahem.

And I am seriously seriously loving listening to this album by Geoffrey Gurrumul Yunupingu. I loved it when we first bought it and after very heavy rotation I am loving it more. Buy it from Skinnyfish (the album link above) because it is a great business, or from iTunes if you prefer.

2 comments:

Jill said...

I love that album too - we listened to it while I was in labour and it takes me back to that cocooned stopped-in-time feeling before the wee boy arrived :-)

lisette said...

that is my favourite album - i can't listen to anything else at the moment - apart from the tjupi band :)

loved your darwin post - it took me right back to mindil beach :)

oh and the socks are fab