Thursday, 16 July 2009

plateau

Four years ago at about this stage of preparation for our departure to Thailand I wrote this on the old blog:

For weeks now when people ask me how the preparations are going I say, well it's hard to know, there's a whole lot of stuff you just have to do at the last minute. People think I'm a pessimist when I say it's like waiting for a car crash you know is going to happen, but here we are with more annoying little mishaps than an optimist would think possible...
[insert boring details of administrivia disaster circa 2005]
And then you remember that this is the price you pay for the glorious experience of travel - manic disaster recovery and lots of waiting around at airports. It's not all beer and skittles as they say. So I fill in my forms and race from place to place, and deal with idiots on the phone and smile a lot when I'd rather scream and compose evil letters to the university in my head. Because in a week I'll barely even remember this, let alone care. Till then, just gotta remember to breathe...

While I hope my writing has improved a little, really surprisingly little else has changed. I still feel anxious about how the last little bit is ever going to happen and which particular disasters will befall us. I am still worried we won't be able to fit all our stuff in storage or in the car, that we'll all get sick, the new tenants won't turn up, I won't take the right supplies to keep making, I will lose the submission details for the new book, the internet won't be connected at the beach, working remotely will go belly up.

But at the same time - in two short weeks I'll be past the point of worry and I will barely even remember this, let alone care.

This is one of many reasons I love the blog, the capacity to remind myself that I felt this tightly drawn before and just a few posts later I was exploring and adapting and enjoying and sleeping soundly in my bed at night. Time to get publishing those old blog posts into a handy reference books I think. Perhaps another creative pursuit with a lap top on the deck overlooking the ocean...

5 comments:

sueeeus said...

You are simply unstoppable!!

eeloh said...

Wow. what a manic time. You'll be missed.

the nest said...

well, you've tucked that all away very nicely! happy trails!

Suse said...

That was funny reading the extract from the old blog (the one that got all temperamental on me when I tried to comment) because it sounds like you, and not like you.

If that makes sense.

Remember to breathe ... and in a couple of weeks you'll be somewhere warm and laughing at the thought of cold weather. Are you having a big dinner get together before you go?

Clementine's Shoes said...

Gosh I hope you don't critique my writing so harshly!

I also thought it was funny, but mostly because the last bit reminded my of what I was saying to myself as C's birth approached...

Hang in there!