Thursday, 11 June 2009

simply the best, oh yeah, better than all the rest

I'll say straight up I got this recipe from someone's blog a couple of years ago. I searched back through the archives of the four or five blogs I picked as the most likely source of the recipe to no avail. I simply cannot work out where I got it. If I am ripping off your blog post and this annoys you please let me know, I will remove it and link to yours! But quite frankly this one is too good not to share.

I don't have a photo of these scones, they are always eaten fast and with great gusto, I've yet to find a recipient who doesn't love them, including a friend of mine who has a very very serious aversion to dried fruit. I suspect the egg is the key.

Fig and date scones
Makes 10-12 scones

Ingredients
500g/1lb 2oz strong flour
85g/3oz sugar
30g/1oz baking powder
85g/3oz butter
2 eggs
225ml/8fl oz milk
55g/2oz dates
55g/2oz dried figs
(I use at least double the specified quantities of both fruits and chop them quite small)

Method
Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.

Put all the ingredients in a bowl except the dates and figs, gently bring the mixture together until you have a soft dough-like texture.

Add the dates and figs and roll the dough out using a rolling pin to about 4cm/1 in deep.

Cut out scone shapes with a round cutter and place them on a baking sheet. Or be slack like me and just cut in squares.

Brush with egg wash and bake for 20 minutes until golden brown.

6 comments:

Alby Mangroves said...

I'd bet even Tina Turner would love these little buggers, they were absolutely scrumptious !

stefana said...

This sounds good. Must be tried. Thanks for the thoughtful metric conversion, can't live without that!

Ren said...

I think I will have to get scales for baking. I have a conversion chart for cups but it doesn't always work. Sounds like a lovely recipe.

jac said...

From here, to relieve your mind:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/figanddatescones_66042.shtml

I used to have a fig tree in my old house. I miss my fig tree. I wonder if I could sneak into the back garden in the dead of night on a fig run? Surely that would be OK.

sue said...

Those sound so yummy. Letting you know I tagged you too if you care to join in. No pressure!

Eleanor said...

Ooooo....thanks for that! Ah..the memories of last weekend are still keeping me warm!!

By the way, what's "strong" flour?