Tuesday, 16 June 2009

the flavour of June

There have been treats over here. A birthday is my compensation for the fully fledged winter freeze that is June.

Amy and I dropped into the Sister's Market after swim class and had morning tea muffins and a quick shiatsu. Amy scored a present from Justine on the Mixtape stand and was pretty impressed with herself.

My very generous sister and mum made me a lovely afternoon tea, complete with child mandated cake with candles.

D and I headed out for a lovely meal without said kidlets, at the ever delightful Court House Hotel. You gotta love a bar meal that comes out of the same kitchen that serves the uber flash restaurant out back.

Amy and the kids from the 'hood put on a show after a neighbours pizza night. We're going to miss our neighbours a heck of a lot when we go up North. I can't imagine we'll come even close to such a convivial gang.

I got nice pressies too. D demonstrated his usual flair in choosing gifts for me and trotted off to Tessuti for some lux fabric - already made up into a simple paper crane jacket for elegant outdoor dining in Darwin. Lucky for me he has such excellent taste.

And I got a long lusted after extra special treat - a digital SLR. If you've noticed a certain improvement in the quality of my pics in the last week or two, now you know why. I sought advice from a range of mates and experts, but took particular notice of the advice from my photographic idol and paid special attention to the lens part of the purchase. For those keen to know I got a Canon 450D with a Sigma 50mm 1.4 lens and so far I am thrilled with the purchase. While the fixed length lens does have its down sides, I just love how well it shoots in low light and how crisp and alive the pictures are. My kids have never looked so angelic, nor our food so enticing. And really I can't ask for more.

17 comments:

sewjourn said...

Happy Birthday Soozs! And wow, I lust after exactly that! Your photos look great....mine need improving but that might have just as much to do with the operator as the camera! Enjoy.

Eleanor said...

Happy birthday!!!

Gail said...

Happy B'day! I like the idea of neighbourhood pizza night, might try to arrange one on my hood.

Tania said...

Happy birthday to you. Loving your pressies - especially that digital SLR, (although you are preaching to the oh so converted).

trashalou said...

happy birthday - however old you are cake with candles is manadatory!

Belinda said...

You will love the 50mm. It rarely leaves my 450D. Happy Birthday!

sue said...

Happy Birthday Soozs! Your pictures do look great, and the camera must be so exciting to use.

Janet said...

Happy Birthday!!!

Your pictures are looking great, the DSLR does really make a difference - nothing like a good tool eh? I've always thought I should just stay with the standard lens but looking at what you've been doing in a week with the sigma is making my hands itchy....

You are going to have so much fun with that camera, I can tell!

travellersyarn said...

Happy Birthday! I love the 50mm lens that I use with my digital SLR. Your photos look lovely.

jenny said...

Happy birthday Soozs. How exciting to get a new camera, you will have hours, no weeks and months of fun getting to know it. Lovely pics. That tabouli looks fab.

Alby Mangroves said...

Happy Birthday Sooz, you lucky thing you.

Turning Japanese said...

Hippy, happy birthday.
Did you make Amy's orange dress? I love the look of it. Might make one!

eeloh said...

Happy birthday. Does each candle on that cake represent 6 years? :-)

Yes, an SLR works wonders. Sigh. Still I have a good little automaic - again a Canon.

I love Amy's dress, too.

jessica said...

happy happy day to you!
(thanks so much for the ginormous compliment.)

Nikki @ My Black Cardigan said...

Sounds like a perfect birthday.

Your photos are beautiful. Sure the camera helps but take some credit!

And even though you'll miss your neighbours terribly, when you do catch up, it will be like you never left. That's what happens with true friends.

Thistledew Farm said...

Great photos - nice job....and love the fabric!

Frogdancer said...

Happy birthday. You're right.... that fabric is gorgeous. (And you were very quick off the mark to make something with it!)