Tuesday, 5 May 2009

for the love of Charlie

I know our household is not alone in loving Charlie and Lola. We are avid watchers when it is on the TV, we have some of the books and Amy has been known to spend some quality time on the Charlie and Lola fun and games website playing dress ups and painting butterflies.

And I love the way the characters dress - particularly Charlie with his raglan sleeve tops and jumpers in contrast colours. I've always loved the raglan construction.

So when I was test knitting the new pattern in the biggest size I decided to try out the Charlie colour style. While I do like the orange and red combo he wears the best, I didn't happen to have those colours on hand so I went with the blue and green instead. I think these are really better suited to Wil anyway.

And I must say, I am mighty pleased! Aside from the logistics of keeping all 5 sets of yarn balls from getting confused while I was doing the yoke, and remembering to wrap the colours at each change so I didn't get holes, it was a breeze to knit. And the size is perfect for Wil. He's a pretty skinny little lad at 27 months, so even in the 24 month size he could do to have the torso a bit slimmer - I think if I was doing it for him again I might leave a few stitches out of the back section.

I think the popper tape works really well and seems to be sturdy enough for even Wil's shenanigans.

And since I'm so pleased, and because 4 people bought the new pattern within hours of me uploading it (!), I'm going to celebrate by giving away a free copy of the pattern. Just leave a comment here in the next week and I'll be drawing a random number with the help of my young assistants. Make sure you leave your email address - and please only go in the drawer if you intend to knit it.

16 comments:

sue said...

I was just looking at the pattern last night and thought how wonderful it would be to knit up for my god-daughter and a few friends little ones. I love the color combo too, and Charlie and Lola are faves at our house. I even love watching them and Lola really makes me laugh as it reminds me of our daughter when she was little. We just watched the 9th dvd last week and it was lots of fun. Wil does look super in that color combo. Please count me in the draw too!!

travellersyarn said...

I love it, and I will knit it!

Ren said...

I love it, Wil looks sooooo handsome in it. I really like Charli and Lola too, a pity my Arch is too little to enjoy it. He loves "In the Night Garden" and the new "Wot Wots"

Please don't include me in the draw because I'm not a knitter, I just like people who knitt! So give the chance to win to someone with the skills and inclination.

R

wv: haphocos

froginthepond said...

Mine loved Charlie and Lola too. And while they are a little too big for the pattern, I know some smaller people who would look very dapper in this top. I would love to be included in the draw.

thetwowindmills said...

Lovely knit! You are so prolific.. a demon knitter. We love Charlie and Lola in our house too. The theme song is so cute.

merrilymerrily said...

Don't forget the Clarice Bean series in a year or two when Amy's reading takes off. Personally I would love my daughter's room somehow done in Charlie and Lola collage style without it looking silly.

rebekka said...

That is lovely and I agree with you re: raglan construction. Not to mention that anything that wraps around is such a good idea when you have squiggly little children.

Please count me in the draw. My mail's skumring AT skumring dot dk

trashalou said...

My plan was to buy it but I just haven't got to Ravelry yet. Please throw me in to your draw because if I get sucked into cruising Ravelry I may never get out!!!!!!!

Tania said...

As one of those buyers, (er, husband doesn't know I accessed his Paypal account cos still can't be bothered setting up own) I guess I don't really need to be in this draw. But I'd love to be entered on behalf of another knittery type...

annika said...

Beautiful! Would like to knit it for my little girl :)
klaabu@hotmail.com

greta said...

I was looking for a sweater to knit for a newbie named CHARLIE and up THIS popped...perfection!
LOVE the blue and green!

Mary :) said...

big fans of Charlie & Lola here too :). I've been looking for a winter knit for the boy and I love the snap tape idea too, pretty sure I have some somewhere.

Annie said...

This is so cute! I definitely see myself knitting it both for my toddler and for the new little one we have on the way. I love the Charlie-esque color design too ;)

(railyuh at hotmail dot com)

JustJess said...

Beautiful jumper - love the pops. Would love to knit one for Miss 2!

jafarrar said...

Well done on such a beautiful pattern! And I think the kiddies would love the fit of it, not too tight around the neck. Love the snap fastener idea! Given me more ideas!! Although the knitting needles (ahem!) have got a bit of dust on them, I'd love to pick them up for this project! And 2 little girls will look gorgeous too!

Sue said...

I just love the look of this jacket, especially using the poppers, such a great idea. I am a new grandmother and think that the pattern would be so versatile for both girls and boys. I would love to have the pattern. Here's hoping I can go in the draw!