Monday, 25 May 2009

cashmere and bean dude


cashmere and bean dude, originally uploaded by Soozs.

I've made a few sock monkeys in my time. And on the last craft camp they were all the rage. Gave me a bit of a stirring.

Then someone found me the perfect starting point, some really lush soft wool and cashmere socks in lovely stripey colours.

For the first time I used stuffing beans instead of polyfill and I am overwhelmed by how they change the look, feel and personality of the finished toy. Definitely for the better. He happily sits up unaided and strikes hilariously human style poses. Leaves my previous chaps for dead.

He was a bribe to win back the affections of a pissed off 6 year old who had been shafted and knew it. Now I have to make another for the 2 year old who will soon detect a new presence among us and have his turn to be all huffy. I'm planning on finishing number two at the Burda Style sewing club. Let's hope the boy doesn't work out what's up before then.

*edited later - thanks for all the compliments! The socks really make it, they are from Holeproof. I didn't use a pattern this time around but my first monkey was based on this one. Also for those who don't know about stuffing beads, they do the same job as rice or lentils in a soft toy - except they are washable of course. Which is handy. I bought mine here. And any allusions to pregnancy or new babies are entirely in your own minds! The new presence in our house is indeed the monkey not a miraculously materialised baby. And for future reference, me and babies are all done.

19 comments:

Terri said...

Love him! He looks all lovely and squooshy!

Jodie said...

stuffing beans????

Michelle said...

Yeah, I'm with Jodie. Are stuffing beans like the heavy plastic beads you use to give stuffed things a "bottom"? Or something completely different?

I love the stripy monkey!

Nikki said...

I think I love him. Really. It's love.

trashalou said...

the monkey is nice and all but when you say 'new presence'?????

Tania said...

You can't just throw that post out there and not expect some calls for clarification! The monkey is indeed funky.

HappySquirrel said...

Oh! he is so cool!

thetwowindmills said...

He looks amazing! I love the colours.. Where did you get the socks from?

Anonymous said...

i've said it before and i'll say it again: this guy totally ROCKS, baby! ROCKS.
[look out, Amy: i wanna steal him]

Suse said...

You just started a pregnancy rumour you realise?

sue said...

Your monkey looks fabulous. Now what pattern did you use to make him as I have attempted to and the face never turns out so nice as yours does.

Kate said...

I'm pretty sure you meant the monkey was the new presense, right? Or... no? :) Everyone loves a good pregnancy rumour!

He is FANTASTIC. Also, where did those socks come from? I want thm for my feet!

sooz said...

OK. For the record unless something goes horribly not according to plan I am not and will not be pregnant again. The new monkey is the new presence (thanks Kate). This is the second false alarm, clearly you all have me pegged for a breeder. Give it up, I have.

Stuffing beads are little plastic balls used to give toys weight and that 'bean bag' feel. Usually just used in limb extremities and bottoms. I love them, but they are stupidly difficult to come by. I bought mine on the internet via a Queensland company called beary cheap. I was tempted not to buy from them in order to punish them for the use of a bad pun but they had me over the barrel of only Australian supplier I could locate. For reasons that also defy understanding the beans are bright blue which makes them useless for light coloured toys. I think you can also get white ones.

The socks are made by holeproof and came from Kmart. And yes, I also have a pair for the feet. In fact the pair Ellen bought for me for monkey making went straight to feet and I had to get two more pairs for monkey twins.

I didn't use a pattern as such - I've made a heap of them before. I found the pattern I used when I first sock monkeyed a few years back by googling 'sock monkey pattern'. Clementines shoes (link in my side bar) posted recently about sock monkeys and included links to two patterns.

I think that's it. Really, no babies, please.

froginthepond said...

I've seen a lot of sock monkeys around but this is the first one to get my fingers twitching.

I'm actually more curious about how the 6 yo got shafted!

sooz said...

The 6yo got shafted with two sleep overs with grans in a row, the 2nd very much imposed in a surprise attack. When I told her it just worked out that way she said Oh yeah? HOW did it just work out that way? Huh? Which is the kind of thing I might have said to her in a different situation...

eeloh said...

I was gonna say....!
ha ha...

Clementine's Shoes said...

He looks ace. Will have to try out the stuffing beads!

greatbalancingact said...

I didn't ever think I wanted to sew. But now I think I have to make that sock monkey...

Prism said...

I would be willing to trade you whitish/clear stuffing beans from the USA for a great monkey like that! (I have always hated the traditional gray monkeys--they freak me out--but he is too perfect for words!) Think it over...