Saturday, 14 March 2009

show time

I dedicate this post to Nicole, not to shit you even more about missing the show, but to try and get you as close to the action as I could without actually flying you over. We all send our love and missed you!Such a great day yesterday.

First there was a quick tour of the incubator to meet the crafting blogging glitterati. So many heros.













Then off to help out at Wardrobe Refashion. This was way more fun than I expected and although I only signed up for a couple of hours, I stayed on the stand for most of the day. Who would have guessed that in the face of a entire hall for of craft material purchase possibilities I would opt to hang out with a big pile of second hand clothes, fabric scraps and sewing machines, helping complete strangers make aprons and bags from old shirts and sheets? So much fun! I even squeezed in a few quick things, like a wee linen bag made from a trouser cuff and a wrist pin cushion stuffed with yarn scraps. I just love the challenge of making something from seemingly nothing...

I slipped out to see Faythe Levine's Handmade Nation which was really excellent and made me want to get my movie camera out again and make a doco about the aussie scene, though I reckon I'd be hard pushed to find anyone to make music anywhere near as good as her's....but geez, perhaps I should think about this one more seriously...? And whilst watching I finished off a guinan hat for myself in the possmerino aran I had left over from my Teva Durham vest from last winter.

I made a few forays out of the stand to buy some fat quarters, just love love love the work of the ink and spindle crew and meeting them in person at last was a delight. I picked up a few more bag making bits from Nicole because again, after so many internet purchases getting my hands all over her stuff was too much to resist.

My only other purchase was special in a different kind of way. In anticipation of Amy's 7th birthday which I know is MILES away and all, I bought a skein of the totally gorgeous '100s and 1000s' yarn Sue at Pear Tree Yarns has specially designed for a first knitting project. A sweet set of short 6mm bamboos and I think this will be a very a memorable gift.

So that may have been it for purchases, but that wasn't it for goodies. At the show Nichola and the Burda dudes gave me a lovely little giftie for helping out - how cute is that fabric?!

I organised a post show bloggers/crafters/exibitors dinner largely because I really wanted to meet Jodie and test my suspicions that we may have been sisters separated at birth (there's a good chance - she gave me this gift of toilet paper as a reference to this old post so many people seem to remember and hold dear. I laughed very hard at the dinner table in a most unglamorous fashion). Can't believe I didn't get photos of the selvage entourage!

What started out as a dinner for two quickly escalated to a dinner for 32, just, you know, me a few mates. By the night the numbers had peeled back to 24, but it was still a spectacular event and a special chance to meet and put faces to names I have long known.Sandra and Kristen Jodie Cathy and Louise Jenny Liz and Ellie Bianca Matt Tegan and Lara Cathy and Michelle Janet Lisa and Caroline Lara Nicole and Jodie Eleanor and Susan (bloggers will be snap happy bloggers).

Part of the dinner was a lucky dip gift swap and I scored a wonderful gift of fabric from Lara in exchange for one I gave - this hat (also the guinan - this time in aubergine Merino Spun) which Sandra (AKA the felt dealer) from Winterwood scored. The lovely Tinnie Girl even gave me a bit of her wonderful fabric haul from Jenny because it was all over cars and Wil would undoubtedly love it more than anyone - thank you Tinnie and by extension Jenny!

A totally great evening - as Jodie said does blogging and craft make people nice or is it just that nice people are attracted to craft and blogging? Chicken or egg, I don't care, but it is true there's not often you can chuck that many strangers together and have such a darn good time. Thanks everyone for sharing the madness and helping me cover the short bill produced by some stupidity on my part! :-)

And to cap it all off I got home to find this big luscious pile of undyed silk merino awaiting me from The Knittery closing down sale. I can feel some lace coming on...After a bloody good sleep!

24 comments:

nikkishell said...

I'm already tired from my days at the show but after reading your post i realise how much we are actually doing there!
Thankyou so much for your help on Wardrobe Refashion, people have been having a blast on there and it's been great to have people like you and Sam to help them out.

Cass said...

I am so insanely jealous. The show looked fantastic but the dinner looked unreal.

Marg said...

I was hoping to get to the Stitches and Craft show but it clashed with Sound Relief, and I don't think I will be doing much today! Maybe next time.

Frogdancer said...

I didn't get to the show either (another Sound Relief watcher) but I'm here to say that the dinner was fantastic. We all had such a good time and the lucky dip of handmade prizes thing was an inspired touch.

Thanks again for organising it.

Suse said...

Thanks Sooz, it was so much fun. Who knew 30 women could talk so much?

Stomper Girl said...

You are a legend for organising that and thoroughly deserved your toilet paper! Thanks again, I had a great night.

craftapalooza said...

You sweet lady :) awesome post and looks fabulous.

Marg said...

We ended up going today and really enjoyed it and got a few new ideas to try. I am going to have to go back to work tomorrow for a rest after this weekends activities!

Eleanor said...

Hi Sooz! I just got back to Sydney and I'm sitting here with my family and talking, talking, talking about all of the wonderful times I had.

And it's really thanks to you Suze!! (& Mary of course, for befriending me and asking me to come to Melbourne with her). The venue, the company, the gifts, the riotous fun and laughter were all perfect. I adored meeting you and all of the other crafty ladies. And you all welcomed me so warmly despite the fact that I can't even thread a needle!!

I am already looking forward to coming to Melbourne again, with Mary this time. I shall practice my belly dancing every day.

Hope you have a wonderful week.

Thanks Suze!!

Di said...

Fantastic wrap up!

Hollabee said...

Awesome post... a long scroll down ;) Thanks for documenting it all, we had a lovely time. Thanks so much for organising the dinner!

Cathy said...

so lovely to have met you. Thank you so much for organising the dinner - I had a great time meeting everyone. Great post too!

handmaiden said...

Hi, just popping in to say hello and read such a great post....introduced through Whipup's roundup
Sharon

Michelle said...

Thank you again for organising the dinner, and putting such a great post up! It brought all those memories flooding back. Why does it look like Cathy and I are sozzled, when we didn't drink a thing? Hmmm.

It was lovely to meet you, and I'm sure we'll meet again!

Lara said...

Hah, great post!! Brings back all the memories!! Great to finally put a face to the name too - lovely to meet you.

Jodie said...

It is almost unspeakable about, in regard to the sense of connectedness and shared understanding and so on ... My mind is still reeling with the wonder of it all really, and by the way, we were definately seperated at birth.....

Nikki said...

Fab round-up and lovely get-together.... If only I'd been a bit more... ummm.. together?

Tinniegirl said...

It was a fabulous evening. Thanks so much for organising it. I hope you weren't too short on cash - let me know if I need to get some to you somehow.

It is amazing what happens when you get bloggers together. We must all be fabulous people.

ellie said...

So wonderful to meet you. And thank you for organising a fantastic, and delicious dinner with a fun group of women (and a couple of men!).
Even the kids had fun, and my husband (who never goes in for those sorts of female gatherings) had a great time.
thank you, thank you.

.girl ferment. said...

looks like such a great and liberating week.
it has inspired me to have a stall at the local market in the underground carpark (risking Co2 poisoning).
watch out grannies i am going to show this little country town what contemporary craft is.

mixtapezine said...

great post!
i'll make a movie with you...
i'm only HALF joking
let's talk xx

sukigirl said...

Looks like an amazing show, I'm so jealous!
Also I love the green shrug that Lara nicole is wearing, is it possible to pass on the pattern info?
Thanks

sooz said...

Sukigirl - if you want the pattern info for Lara's shrug you's have to ask her! She's over at http://thornberry.wordpress.com/

sukigirl said...

Thanks, I'll head over there now :0)