Friday, 13 February 2009

bundles

I've spent all morning getting bundles together.

Bundles of towels and blankets, bundles of old clothes, bundles of old toys and other bits and pieces. Things to go to the op shop to be given or sold to people who need them.

There's also a big bundle of new clothes for people who need them, including 40 pairs of brand new kids undies. God knows what the check out chick at Target thought I needed them all for.

There's a bundle of new toys too, things I've pulled from the present box and picked up from fund raising drives. Toys I put aside for a rainy day, an emergency.

And there's a bundle of handmade toys. Last night I cast off the bunny I started a few days ago especially for this purpose (lovely pattern by Kate Gilbert here, more details over on ravelry). I really wanted to create something with extra thought and love, something extra special. I know all the toys I make are special in their own way but this one was purpose made, for a child in my mind who is sad and needs a really soft and squishy friend to cuddle. A friend small and light enough to stick close by. I hope it finds a home soon and brings a little happiness to someone. It will be snuggling up close to a bundle of my other toys too and heading over to Pip at Handmade Help.

And as I was knitting it occurred to me how much of my sadness and feelings of helplessness I was managing through the knitting and the crafting for people. And then it occurred to me that there must be a lot of people affected by the fires who are crafters, and then of course it occurred to me that they would have lost their stashes and with them yet another of their coping mechanisms.

So I had a word to Pip this morning who agreed with me that a crafter without a stash is like a child without a toy, and someone who also needs our help. So in the blink of an eye I've got a new bundle of my own to care for, the re-stash a crafter project. I'm only just thinking this through, so forgive me while I collect my thoughts. But I hope you will all collect your thoughts too, and examine your stashes for things you might be able to pass on to help build a new stash for someone else. Some needles or hooks and yarn, some needlework or handsewing kits, a project bag, some beading gear, a box of pins, a stocked needlebook, a pair of scissors, a sewing box, maybe even a sewing machine you don't need. Get thinking and stay tuned for more details.

Email me at soozs[dot]com[at]gmail[dot]com if you have ideas about this project (especially about distribution), stash to give, wheels to ferry.

6 comments:

Blossom said...

great idea on the crafting kits....I would be lost without my *stuff* to do...

Kate said...

Great thinking Sooz - I have seen this mentioned on ravelry too - I think there is a group now called Packages Down Under.

kirsten said...

oh, sooz!
what a brilliant, brilliant idea.
i shall be on to that.
[i have a bundle of fabric ready - what to do with it?!]

Fiona said...

That is such a good idea! Off to have a look through my stash...

Melanie said...

I was asked by the checkout chick on Tuesday if my items were bushfire related, because Target were(are still?) giving 10% off related purchases - not sure if that's still going, nor is it particularly helpful since you've already bought the undies, but just thought I'd mention...

Will possibly see you tomorrow :)

1/4 of an inch said...

I am so glad you put forward this idea...I was only thinking of this a couple of days ago but was unsure on how to action it...but you have and that is so great...I'm off to raid my own stash and op shop now...