No sooner had I whipped up Wil's car pants, than he found another piece of car fabric lurking in my stash. He's got a keen eye when it comes to transport vehicles.
I bought this fabric ages ago, somewhere back when I was still thinking playmats. I think Wil may have not even given voice to the car thing yet and maybe I wasn't using it for fear of doing a whole, I totally boyified my boy with car paraphernalia number.
As it turns out he needed no help on that front.
So I took the old pink and white doona cover Amy had adored off the cot doona and whipped up one all together more in keeping with Wil's one true love. He was so thrilled, he lay down and stroked it and whispered sweet brmms in its ears. (As you can see, I haven't managed a new pillow slip yet...)
I am contemplating a car softie - something I thought was really dumb up until quite recently when he started instsiting on going to bed with a small fleet of hard metal cars. I worry for his night time comfort.
And because it is really way too hot for a doona right now and he can't seem to manage the sheet and blanket thing, I turned out yet another item of bedding.
A light summer quilt made from a red cotton cot sheet, a single layer of cotton batting and a very soft and light orange cotton monk robe from Thailand. The robe is very roughly constructed from a number of pieces of various sizes and shapes and some of them in slightly different shades of orange. (I guess the roughness is all about keeping the monks humble and prideless.)
I bagged it out, rather than binding it because I thought it would be quicker and have a simpler look. I like the look but it was a lot of fiddling the get the batting in place after the bagging so binding may well have been quicker if I had machined it.
I used a simple contrast stitching for the quilting (which is marginally better than it appears - like the colour which is way off in this photo. In fact pretty much everything about this photo is crap but since Wil is asleep under it right now, you'll have to take my word for it), red on the orange side and white on the red side, and did almost all of it in rectalinear configurations. I wanted to highlight the rough piecework and seaming on the monk's robe, and I wanted it to be well quilted. I left one segment unquilted, changed the contrast thread on the red side from white to yellow and did a large sun like circle.
It was fast - maybe a couple of hours all up and was washed and dried ready for bed last night. I like this kind of project a lot - quick, practical. I could have spent a lot longer on it, quilted more complex and regular patterns, bound the edges and pieced the bottom instead of using a sheet, but this is not an heirloom piece. Wil won't be using it for too long, and I wanted it to be light, without any additional bulk from tonnes of seaming and binding.
And really - I just wanted it done. And it is. And even better, it was made entirely out of the stash, which is very pleasing.
* Edited to add: in response to Nicole's query (why oh why don't commenters who ask questions leave email addresses?). Bagging out isn't a quilters term - in fact I am a total heathen for bagging out and calling it a quilt! Bagging out is a sewing technique where you sew together the two sides of something with right sides facing (like a cushion cover, garment and lining, bag and lining - anything with two layers), leaving a gap somewhere in the seam and then turn the whole lot right side out through the gap, which you sew together after. It is a way of hiding the construction and getting a neat finish.
Conventionally however when you make a quilt you get your bottom layer, your batting in the middle and your top layer, sew them all together using deocrative quilting stitches, and then sew a neat strip of fabric around the whole of the perimeter (called binding) to neaten up and hide all the cut ends. Cutting out all the binding and sewing it on neatly is fiddly, hence my desire to not have to do it on a super fast while-the-boy-naps project. Trouble is that when I did the bagging out I only had a small openning through which to shove the batting and get it all smoothed out and properly placed after I had turned it right way out. Which was a total bitch. So it was still time consuming and fiddly.
In hindsight I should have attached the batting to at least one side of the quilt prior to bagging out - maybe with a few lines of quilting stitches, or even by basting (big, temporary stitches) adn then sewign it all together and turning it out. Much easier.