Wednesday, 21 January 2009

but where will we sleep?

A question uppermost in our minds right now.

You see a while ago my little family and I decided we would go and spend six months in Darwin. D has a research project that lets him be away from his desk and lectern for the second half of the year, I have an in principle agreement to have leave from my job.

We are planning on a stint of volunteer work in between other commitments, hopefully on some islands, hopefully involving a spot of craft skill exchange as well as more mundane things.

We are hoping we will have a great adventure like we did on our six month sabbatical back in 2005 when we went to Thailand. It is very exciting!

You might even remember that D and I had a little time out up North last year doing a spot of research for adventure locations.

So it is all systems go, except that we can't find a place to lay our heads. We're reaching crunch time in our planning because some of the things we need to do to be able to leave have to be finalised soon. And if there really isn't a place for us up North we have to come up with another plan, and that's a whole other bucket of stuff.

So I'm appealing for a little help. I feel positively sure that this is going to be a word of mouth thing. Someone is going to know someone who knows someone who wants to swap houses with us for six months, or who has a house they can rent out or needs house sat, or who wants to rent our house (excite them with pctures like these).

Somewhere in a casual conversation someone is going to mention that they need us as much as we need them and aren't we all lucky that the internet now puts us in touch with a thousand strangers who feel like mates and whose needs we happen to be enlightened about.

So you know, please keep us in mind. Please ask your friends who might know someone who knows someone. Time is running out for this particular adventure and I'd really hate for the sun to go down on it.

Contact me at soozs.com@gmail.com or leave comments. We'd all really appreciate it.

5 comments:

innercitygarden said...

I've passed your message on to the only person I know with Darwin connections, then I crossed all fingers. Good luck!

Hyena In Petticoats said...

My best friend in the whole world lives in Darwin - I'll tell her!

Whereabouts in Melbs do you live?

Leah xxx

trasha said...

fingers crossed the power of the innernets comes through for you!




(positive it isn't linked but word verif. for today is pr*ck - the missing vowek is an 'i'. Seriously!!)

jessica said...

i wish i could help you. so much. dammit. my magic wand doesn't reach darwin.
things will work out and when they do i will be first in line to admire your new place.
good luck!

ThirdCat said...

I too know one person, and have emailed her. Would you consider living in a caravan for a while? I lived in one for a few months once and it wasn't so bad. You meet some very interesting people.