Saturday, 20 December 2008

how to make slack arse oven mits

A great way to showcase a small amount of really special fabric. They get lots of use and visibility, totally practical, easy to make and always welcomed as gifts. A perfect project for a few spare hours.

You will need:

*Fabric for the glove outers - about 50cm x 70cm. Make it something special and make sure it is machine washable
*Fabric for the glover inners - about 50cm x 80cm. Ditto the machine washable and make sure it co ordinates well with the outers.
*Cotton batting to line the gloves - about 100cm x 70cm
*Hanging loops - I used cotton tape 12mm wide x 30cm long, but scraps of either your inner out outer fabric would do
*Thread for the sewing machine
*Scissors, pins, iron


How to do it:

1. Cut 4 outer mitts. Make em bigger than you think they could possibly need to be and then add a bit. You'll lose a lot of size in the seams and because of the batting and other layers and there's nothing worse than small mitts. Make sure you have right sides facing so you have two pairs of outers and not 4 all facing the same way. Pay attention to the pattern if you need to so bits face the same way and all that.

2. Cut 4 inner mitts. These are basically the same as the outers but a fraction smaller in every way except length. Make them about 5cm longer so you can turn the excess up as a cuff later.

3. Cut 8 pieces of batting. Make them the size of your outer mitts minus the seam allowance.

4. Quilt each of the outers to a piece of batting. Use a contrast topstitch. Go crazy. Press good and proper so they are nice and flat.

5. With right sides facing sew each pair of outers together everywhere except across the bottom opening. Trim the excess seam allowance from around the curves. And clip in to the crook of the thumb.

6. Turn the outers right side out and press the side seams open.

7. Quilt the inners to the batting. Yep, all 4 of them. Press them well. Then sew them together, clip and trim as for outers.

8. Put the inners in the outers. Makes sense, huh? Make sure you get them in good and tight as far as they will go. The bottom edges of the inners should be horizontal with the bottom edge of the outers.

9. Turn up the excess edge of the inners by 1-2 cm and then turn again to form a neat folded cuff all the way around the bottoms that encloses the raw edge of the outers. Slip the hanging loop between the outer and folded cuff on the side seam and pin in place.

10. Hem all round the bottom edge making sure you catch the loops well and add a few extra rows of stitching for strength.

24 comments:

Kylie said...

This tutorial is a great gift. Thankyou!
Kylie

Wendy said...

Fantastic tutorial. Thanks for going to all the effort at this busy time of year.

jessica said...

this is fantastic! thanks.

kt said...

Cool! I might have just enough rookie courage to try these with my classic old 70's Singer!

Thanks for the details--I love your fabrics and esthetic.

julie said...

Terrific, and just what I needed!

I'm going to do a search for an oven mitt template or pattern, though--I'm baaaaaad at freehanding.

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

FABULOUS! I would be so excited to receive these as a gift, it's such a great idea. Thanks, I'll be linking.

Ali said...

Good one! Love the way you've quitled to the pattern. Fab.

nikkishell said...

nice work! May i suggest you use the insulated batting intended for oven mits etc instead of regular batting, that stuff is pretty flamable.

nikkishell said...

Oh yeah Julie, you will find a mitt pattern on BurdaStyle :)

Cheri said...

Cripes, good on you! I'll give it a go but I can't promise anything lol

Chloe said...

What an excellent and well put tutorial.
This is going on my "to do after xmas" list.
Thank you.

julie said...

Ooh, Burdastyle, yes! Thanks!

I always forget about Burdastyle because I'm still such a novice that their patterns/tutes aren't always clear enough for me.

An oven mitt, though. That I ought to be able to handle.

Sarah Jayne said...

such a sensible way to make them - thanks for sharing.

Tania - Jet Designs said...

Thanks for the tutorial - will be linking it this week - I I am going to make them this week as well - sick of using a tea towel! - ( got to give myself a goal - new years thing!!)

BrineS said...

Thank You! Thank You! for this fabulous tute! I have bookmarked it and will definitely be making some of my own. When I do, I will post a pic and link to you!

Happy New Year!
Deborah @ Comfort Joy Designs
comfortjoydesigns.blogspot.com
comfortjoydesigns{AT}gmail{DOT}com

Bec said...

Nice tutorial! But is it bad that I'd kind of hoped it was an oven mitt shaped like an arse? lol

Kathy - Pink Chalk Studio said...

Your design is so clever! Totally solves the multiple layers of batting issue for turning plus no seam showing anywhere. Brilliant. Looking forward to giving this go! Thank you.

Casey said...

Are "mits" different than "mitts"? :P I want to make some like this, except with monkey faces on them. I would laugh every time I went to take something out of the oven.

becky said...

Where did you get the cool "made by.." tape? Love the tute. Will make these with matching napkins in patterns for all the holidays for my green d-i-l.

sooz said...

Becky, I made the 'made by' tape with regular cotton tape and alphabet stamps!

Fabi said...

I run the risk to loose myself in your blog!! Congratulations, it's fantastic! :)

Fabi said...

I run the risk to loose myself in your blog!! Congratulations, it's fantastic! :)

Anonymous said...

I have old bath towels that are still quite thick, would you think it would be a problem to substitute with that instead of the batting? Doubling the towels would be quite thick but I was thinking if I used a heavier inner lining it could compensate. Would you know of any rules re: weight of lining, etc?

Lynn said...

what is all that gorgeous fabric?!?