Friday, 19 September 2008

getting worse and then better

So it turns out Amy can't take penicillin syrup.

The post dose hurling gave it away.

I was completely freaked when she parked a quiche in the gutter outside the pharmacy and there was blood in it. If I wasn't the only grown up steering the ship I would probably have totally lost it right there but when a very sick kid is relying on you to keep it together you don't have much choice.

But despite everyone's pessimism, she's managed to swallow capsules and at last her temp is dropping and it is possible to imagine that one day soon she may be well again and we might pass more than 24 hours at a go without relying on medical intervention.

By contrast Wil is pretty much back to normal and thank the stars my in laws could take him off my hands today so he could run and play without taking me away from Amy.

We miss D who is off doing hard work with serious students and no doubt feeling like he misses us too (though I am sure he's thinking a night without crying and spewing is very welcome).

And for all those people who commented on the last couple of posts, none of which got a reply from me for obvious reasons, thanks.

Scarlet fever is indeed not a thing of the past, though since the advent of antibiotics (specifically penicillin) it is no longer the possible death sentence it was for our grandmothers. It is a complication of step throat. Not everyone is vulnerable, but it is a serious condition and best treated while it is still a localised thing. It is contagious (Amy most likely got it from a friend at school and then Wil got it from Amy) and if untreated can do you a lot of damage.

So if you have strep throat get it treated and don't go sharing germs. And if you are prescribed antibiotics, take 'em all just like they tell you to. And hope to god we never have to live through a time when there is no effective treatment.

And in the middle of all this a special mention goes to my local sewing machine service dude who came and picked up my machine off the front porch yesterday and then returned it today in tip top shape and never even charged me a delivery fee.

A wee bright spot in an otherwise smeared in shit week.

14 comments:

trashalou said...

Hurray for the nice sewing machine man AND especially for anti-biotics!!

Jodie said...

I had been imagining a "liitle women " life for you with scarlet fever -it does sound, at least, so old fashioned!

Solorn said...

I had scarlet fever when I was 10. My mother was told it was incredibly infectious but I was the only child in the village who had it. They also told her that I was to have a large spoon of honey twice a day to help clear it up.

I hope your little ones are back to their bouncy selves soon.

shula said...

Curiously, I owe what's left of my sanity to a sewing machine mechanic, too.

God bless em.

Lozzy said...

Oh sooz, totally sympathise with you. My kids have had toncilitis for 2 weeks, me a sinus infection and now Jay is crook, he had a reaction to penicillin! I hope you are all on the mend and can enjoy some sunny weather.

sue said...

Oh I do hope your littlies get better soon. My daughter had a fever for about 4 days too and vomited everything in sight on Wednesday night, not pretty I tell you. I was a bit embarrased when it happened outside the cash registers of the supermarket but thankfully we made it to the toilets just outside so she could finish. I dont know how little people hold so much stuff in their little bodies. I hope the sewing machine brings some nice relief for you.

Ren said...

Sending lots of calming and goodness vibes over to your place Sooz! Yes, I agree, we are so damn lucky that antibiotics still work. People should be more careful with medication though, and take them the way they are supposed to be taken.

froginthepond said...

My mum had scarlet fever when she was six and in the early 50s that meant 10 days in an isolation ward. No visits, no toys, no books, no phone, no letters. She still remembers it.

Antibiotics are wonderful - and it sounds the week will get less shitty for all of you.

Dawn said...

I was reading some of your older post regarding crocheting and i really love what you do! It would be really great if you could pls do a post on how to crochet animals? THANKS ALOT(=

Di said...

Hurrah indeed for modern medicine. May the stars conspire to bring you a shitless week.

Anonymous said...

This is the first time reading your blog...I had scarlet fever when I was about 14. I woke up blind one day during it, had bed sores from laying on the couch, and finally made it back to the land of the living about 3 weeks later...It scared my mom to death. I can only imagine how you feel...penicillin and strep did it to me, too...good luck...my prayers to you and your family...

Ren said...

Hello, thought I'd check in and see how you're doing. Hope the little people are mending and the big ones are well.

sam said...

I hope she is over the worst of it by now. Poor little chicken. I've had Miss Whizzme home sick for the past 7 days and it is no fun. Not that hers is as traumatic as your own experience. I hope you all get some sunny restful days.

P.s. I need the name of your sewing machine man!!

sexy said...

情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,A片,視訊聊天室,聊天室,視訊,視訊聊天室,080苗栗人聊天室,上班族聊天室,成人聊天室,中部人聊天室,一夜情聊天室,情色聊天室,視訊交友網,A片,A片,A片,A片A片,A片

免費A片,AV女優,美女視訊,情色交友,免費AV,色情網站,辣妹視訊,美女交友,色情影片,成人影片,成人網站,A片,H漫,18成人,成人圖片,成人漫畫,情色網,日本A片,免費A片下載,性愛

A片,色情,成人,做愛,情色文學,A片下載,色情遊戲,色情影片,色情聊天室,情色電影,免費視訊,免費視訊聊天,免費視訊聊天室,一葉情貼圖片區,情色,情色視訊,免費成人影片,視訊交友,視訊聊天,視訊聊天室,言情小說,愛情小說,AIO,AV片,A漫,avdvd,聊天室,自拍,情色論壇,視訊美女,AV成人網,色情A片,SEX,成人論壇

情趣用品,A片,免費A片,AV女優,美女視訊,情色交友,色情網站,免費AV,辣妹視訊,美女交友,色情影片,成人網站,H漫,18成人,成人圖片,成人漫畫,成人影片,情色網


情趣用品,A片,免費A片,日本A片,A片下載,線上A片,成人電影,嘟嘟成人網,成人,成人貼圖,成人交友,成人圖片,18成人,成人小說,成人圖片區,微風成人區,成人文章,成人影城,情色,情色貼圖,色情聊天室,情色視訊,情色文學,色情小說,情色小說,臺灣情色網,色情,情色電影,色情遊戲,嘟嘟情人色網,麗的色遊戲,情色論壇,色情網站,一葉情貼圖片區,做愛,性愛,美女視訊,辣妹視訊,視訊聊天室,視訊交友網,免費視訊聊天,美女交友,做愛影片

av,情趣用品,a片,成人電影,微風成人,嘟嘟成人網,成人,成人貼圖,成人交友,成人圖片,18成人,成人小說,成人圖片區,成人文章,成人影城,愛情公寓,情色,情色貼圖,色情聊天室,情色視訊,情色文學,色情小說,情色小說,色情,寄情築園小遊戲,情色電影,aio,av女優,AV,免費A片,日本a片,美女視訊,辣妹視訊,聊天室,美女交友,成人光碟

情趣用品.A片,情色,情色貼圖,色情聊天室,情色視訊,情色文學,色情小說,情色小說,色情,寄情築園小遊戲,情色電影,色情遊戲,色情網站,聊天室,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,美女視訊,辣妹視訊,視訊聊天室,視訊交友網,免費視訊聊天,免費A片,日本a片,a片下載,線上a片,av女優,av,成人電影,成人,成人貼圖,成人交友,成人圖片,18成人,成人小說,成人圖片區,成人文章,成人影城,成人網站,自拍,尋夢園聊天室