Friday, 8 August 2008

socks and books

My first pair of socks for me. What a thrill!! They feel totally fabulous on and I'm pleased as punch. Just love that Universal toe up with a Turkish cast on.


Not totally crazy about the colour pooling up the leg of the second sock (the right),
but I'm choosing to focus on the more perfect feet.

And they aren't exactly long given that I used pretty much the entire ball of Colinette Jitterbug. Just enough left over for a little cozy for the tape measure.

The stats
Pattern: Universal toe up sock pattern, using Turkish cast on and with Beaded Rib from Sensational Knitted Socks
Size: Women's size 9 shoe (cast on 60 stitches)
Yarn: Colinette Jitterbug, charcoal brights colourway
Needles: 2.5mm addi lace 120cm circulars

Amy has requested I shelve the plan for her knitted skirt made from the delightful pear tree yarn I bought for her at the Bendigo show in favour of some self striping socks. She wants in on the action and who could blame her? I'm going to be a bit sad to knit socks she'll grow out of before she wears them out!

Even more exciting was the parcel that arrived whilst I was laid low earlier in the week. The much anticipated sequel to the Softies book from Penguin, More Softies.

It's another really really well put together book (I'm so impressed with this editorial team!), with lovely projects, wonderful photography and great instructions.

Just like last time the thrill of being included is quite eclipsed by all the projects in here by other people I am dying to make. You'll be able to get your copy in book stores some time in October.

11 comments:

Suse said...

Congratulations on another book!

And the socks are lovely, although I can't believe those two fairly short socks used almost the whole skein. Was it a 100g ball?

Anonymous said...

Soozs,
The doll you made is lovely! Just a question - does your daughter ask you for commercial toys? My soon to be 5 year old has been talking about a mermaid doll for ages. As I make steiner dolls the plan was to make her a mermaid. However she has requested one that can go in the bath with real hair. No doubt she's thinking of the scary barbie/little mermaid dolls she spied in coles. What to do? How do you handle this sort of thing?

Kate said...

Congratulations on the book - I can not wait to see it - I think camels must be bringing my copy to WA.

sooz said...

Suse - yes 100gms which seems a lot for two small socks to me too.

Anonymous - She asks less and less for that kind of thing. She has been given a few of the scary plastics here and there for birthdays and so on and I do my best to ignore them. I make sure I explain why I don't like the commercially produced stuff, but I stop short of totally banning them, since that only makes her want them more. I figure in time she will have the good sense to choose wisely.

Anonymous said...

Anon's comment reminds me of the time my then 11yr old asked for a 'proper' cake for his birthday! Let her have the plastic for the bath - life is too short to stress. The whole point of steiner is to be more conscious, not to be so rigid. Or else just say no!Lots of homemade and a a touch of store bought seem the thing. My now 13 and 15 yr olds remember and treasure the special toys , not those horrid 'contriband' plastics that were presents. But oh, how stressed and worried was I! Enjoy your babies people! (and now I am anon too 'cause I can never remember a password!) Sorry!

Sharon said...

Hi there sooz...
I am waiting on this next book at the shop where I work... I used the other 'Softie' title as one of the 'staff recommends' along with a note about your good self -suggesting you were a local textile artist and that you also taught locally plus tou had a blog.. The woman who does the ordering at the shop saw the new title and said was it worth having and I replied definetely!!!!!

Sharon said...

I should add - now that I have brought these books 'into the light' so to speak rather than have them in the furthest deep recesses of the shop they are selling really well... Craft etc isn't a money maker for small general bookshops but since I have been promoting them eg staff recommends they have sold really well - much to the surprise of the other staff who prefer the more mainstream titles...

iHanna said...

Congratulations on the book from me too, it looks lovely! Softies are so fun, and the socks you made are beautiful. I want to try toe-up sometimes!

Angie said...

I'm in awe of anyone who can knit socks....any socks...little socks, big socks, wonky sock......they all seem a long, long way from my knitting abilities! The book looks great, I'll put in a request to my library as I'm attempting not to buy anything new this August (hope I don't need any socks!)

Di said...

Congrats on the finished socks (Yay for commute knitting) and the new book! Love your pieces, and that piggy- my, he is cute!

Thimbleanna said...

Beautiful socks Soozs! And Congrats on another book!