I turned 40 and had a seriously good party to celebrate (photos here).
Things that crossed my mind during the storm that was party preparation, speech writing (in my head only - when it came time to speak I just mumbled thanks and let everyone get on with the eating and drinking), very long morning after which started approximately 3.15 hours after the night before ended, and whilst wandering from conversation to conversation:
- I am happier at 40 than I have been at any other time in my life (despite the falling apart physically thing which really sucks). I really love my life
- The falling apart thing really sucks
- Some people don't listen when you say no presents please (and sometimes that is a really excellent thing especially when they have good taste and know me well)
- A sister you can depend upon is worth a lot. Especially when she is also skilled and capable and fun and can cook a really superior cake (lemon syrup with a lemon curd and fresh cream filling, just in case you wanted to know)
- Left over cake is the gift that keeps giving
- I am really lucky to have so many good friends. It's trite but no less true
- The skirt felt as good to wear as I had hoped (and I did get that top made)
- The only thing I regret about not getting married is a chance to tell everyone in a long detailed way how great D is
- When it comes to a big party, children who wake before 5am the morning after are a serious liability.