Friday, 23 May 2008

me and my shadow

Last week I listened to Yarn Harlot on Stash and Burn and was really struck by something she said. In a round about reply to the question of why she knitted, she talked about breast feeding. When she worked with birthing mothers she was often asked why babies breast fed so much and her reply was that breast feeding provides for so many needs simultaneously (hunger, thirst, warmth, bonding, comfort, security, skin contact and so on and so on) why wouldn't they? She said that knitting was like that for her. Sure you get to make and keep stuff, but you get to feel the beautiful yarns and work out patterns and give gifts and collect yarn and so on and so on.

So last weekend as I was teaching another toy making workshop I was thinking about this. I've taught this class enough times now that I don't need to think too hard about 'performing' or what comes next and this frees me up to think a little more deeply about what toy making is. Like why, in stark contrast to so much of my life, I am drawn to making toys, and more specifically to a decorative cuteness and sweetness I might otherwise find repellent to my functionalist nature.

I find myself talking in the classes about how certain toys make me feel, my desire to cuddle or play with certain toys, the feeling of pride and achievement when a child takes a toy I have made and builds a bond with it. And I was reflecting that there aren't many things I do in regular life where I describe things so often in terms of how they make me feel. Most things are more about what I think, or what they do, or how they work.

So all this was floating through my mind when I went to see Lars and the Real Girl. Let me preface this by saying I wasn't keen on seeing this film. A bloke and his blow up doll. Hmmpf. But see it I did. And clearly I don't listen enough to film reviewers of merit because it was a really really wonderful film. Superbly written and conceived by Nancy Oliver who wrote one of my all time favourite TV series, Six Feet Under, it was a joy from start to finish. Funny, beautiful, sweet and full of possibilities for a different kind of life. Go see it!

As the film progressed I was really fascinated the way one man's delusion gradually infected a whole community. While many react with alarm and disgust to Lars' clear break with reality, the wise and compassionate members of the town (most particularly the local GP) willingly play along while Lars uses the doll to work through his mental health issues. Little by little the imagined girl comes to play a central role in the town's community life and even the cynical are drawn in.

What is it about the doll? I was thinking that there is something powerful about those multiple needs. The doll is to the people in Lars' life what knitting is to Stephanie, or the breast is to the baby, what toy making is for me. This kind of green field in which I can see, make, think or feel the things I need. For Lars, she is a kind of transition into human relationships, but for others she becomes an opportunity to embrace, to include, to warm and to support - all while suspending conventional judgement (and to some degree the bleeding obvious).

So perhaps that makes no sense to anyone, I'm not sure I can really describe this complicated mess of thoughts. It just strikes me that perhaps toys represent a kind of socially acceptable small scale imaginary friend. A place we can deposit some emotions for safe keeping, a place we can expose our thoughts and mental pictures knowing they will not be held up to the scrutiny of adult functionality. Perhaps that's why they seem so precious and important.

6 comments:

SadieandLance said...

What a sweet post Sooz. I love toys and making toys because to me it feels like childhood or something. Liking simple things.

Jodie said...

I'm not sure I get it all either, but when I make a doll and i know - just know that she needs to have flowers on her pocket and then she must have a little hat that doesn't match and then when I see her carried by a child and talked to and made to come to life - i think really there is nothing better I can be doing with my fabrics and bits and bobs...it makes sense inside my brain , hope it makes sense out here too.

Judy said...

Toy makers and doll makers are seemingly always portrayed as odd. Have you noticed?

mixtapezine said...

i understood EVERYTHING you just wrote about.
i loved lars and the real girl
justine x

h&b said...

I was actually hoping I could see this film on the plane ( my only source of movie watching ), but alas - no.

Funny you should mention the breastfeeding. My new boy is on every 2-3hours, even at 3months old now. It's so not about the milk, and although it can annoy me, his absolute delight in touch warms me over ( and what was so important I didn't want to attend to him anyway ? )

Am uploading some Frank Lloyd Wright Taliesin West photos to my flickr - some of the windows reminded me of your fabulous kitchen one.

xx

sexy said...

情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,A片,視訊聊天室,聊天室,視訊,視訊聊天室,080苗栗人聊天室,上班族聊天室,成人聊天室,中部人聊天室,一夜情聊天室,情色聊天室,視訊交友網,A片,A片,A片,A片A片,A片

免費A片,AV女優,美女視訊,情色交友,免費AV,色情網站,辣妹視訊,美女交友,色情影片,成人影片,成人網站,A片,H漫,18成人,成人圖片,成人漫畫,情色網,日本A片,免費A片下載,性愛

A片,色情,成人,做愛,情色文學,A片下載,色情遊戲,色情影片,色情聊天室,情色電影,免費視訊,免費視訊聊天,免費視訊聊天室,一葉情貼圖片區,情色,情色視訊,免費成人影片,視訊交友,視訊聊天,視訊聊天室,言情小說,愛情小說,AIO,AV片,A漫,avdvd,聊天室,自拍,情色論壇,視訊美女,AV成人網,色情A片,SEX,成人論壇

情趣用品,A片,免費A片,AV女優,美女視訊,情色交友,色情網站,免費AV,辣妹視訊,美女交友,色情影片,成人網站,H漫,18成人,成人圖片,成人漫畫,成人影片,情色網


情趣用品,A片,免費A片,日本A片,A片下載,線上A片,成人電影,嘟嘟成人網,成人,成人貼圖,成人交友,成人圖片,18成人,成人小說,成人圖片區,微風成人區,成人文章,成人影城,情色,情色貼圖,色情聊天室,情色視訊,情色文學,色情小說,情色小說,臺灣情色網,色情,情色電影,色情遊戲,嘟嘟情人色網,麗的色遊戲,情色論壇,色情網站,一葉情貼圖片區,做愛,性愛,美女視訊,辣妹視訊,視訊聊天室,視訊交友網,免費視訊聊天,美女交友,做愛影片

av,情趣用品,a片,成人電影,微風成人,嘟嘟成人網,成人,成人貼圖,成人交友,成人圖片,18成人,成人小說,成人圖片區,成人文章,成人影城,愛情公寓,情色,情色貼圖,色情聊天室,情色視訊,情色文學,色情小說,情色小說,色情,寄情築園小遊戲,情色電影,aio,av女優,AV,免費A片,日本a片,美女視訊,辣妹視訊,聊天室,美女交友,成人光碟

情趣用品.A片,情色,情色貼圖,色情聊天室,情色視訊,情色文學,色情小說,情色小說,色情,寄情築園小遊戲,情色電影,色情遊戲,色情網站,聊天室,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,美女視訊,辣妹視訊,視訊聊天室,視訊交友網,免費視訊聊天,免費A片,日本a片,a片下載,線上a片,av女優,av,成人電影,成人,成人貼圖,成人交友,成人圖片,18成人,成人小說,成人圖片區,成人文章,成人影城,成人網站,自拍,尋夢園聊天室