Tuesday, 27 May 2008

in vest ing

The vest turned out a treat. It's a perfect fit, soft and cuddly warm and a really quick knit. Wil hasn't had it off since it came off the needles, it is just perfect for this cold weather. I love the way the placket opening gives you a good size neck opening without leaving the neck all exposed and breezy and by picking up a few less stitches on the arms the opening sits nice and snug. I may well try another in the posmerino aran weight I just bought from the Knittery (hello dye session!), or some Pakucho cotton from EcoYarns.

I've written up the pattern below. Since I was making it up as I went along this is not a fully described pattern in proper terminology. Sorry, I'm just pressed for time! I encourage improvisation. So long as you get the basic neck and arm hole sizes about right it should work. Feel free to email me if you need some help.

Toddlers rib vest with placket neck opening and almost collar

Size
: Roomy at 15 months, with the rib body it should fit well past 18 months.
Wil is pretty much smack bang on average height and weight, perhaps a little under. The finished garment is 34cm high from inner neck edge to cast on edge and 28cm across when laid flat. It would be easy to upsize this pattern to make it longer by knitting extra rows in the body and in the armholes between when you are knitting straight between the initial armhole cast off and neck shaping, or wider by casting on extra stitches, and casting off a few more stitches for the centre neck and each of the shoulder casts offs.

Yarn
: Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran weight, 130gm/238m (a smidge over 2.5 balls)


Needles
: 4.5mm circs 60cm.

Instructions

Main body:
Cast on 130 Stitches and join in the round.

[K3, P1] 8 times, [K4, P1] once, [K3, P1] 15 times, [K4, P1] once, [K3, P1] 7 times. The 2 knit 4 ribs will be in the centre front and back and form defacto stitch markers. I'm lazy, what can I tell you? If you feel the need add a marker at the beginning of the round. You will keep this basic rib structure throughout the body.

Work rib until body measures 20 cm.

Cast off 3 stitches for the bottom of the first armhole, work rib across front, cast off 3 knit stitches for second arm hole and work rib across back. Turn. Leave live front stitches on the needle without working while you do the back, or slip onto a stitch marker or second needle.

Back section:
K2tog at beginning and end of each of next 4 rows.

Work in rib until work measures 32cm from cast on edge.

Cast off centre 12 stitches, work to end.

Work to last 2 stitches (neck edge) and K2tog.

K2tog work to end.

Cast off first 5 stitches, w
ork to last 2 stitches and K2tog.

K2tog work to end.

Cast off first 6 stitches, work to end.

Work one row in rib.

Cast off remaining stitches.

Rejoin yarn and work other half of back from neck edge.

Front:
K2tog at beginning and end of each of next 4 rows.

Work to centre 4 knit stitches. Increase into each of these 4 stitches to form start of placket. Work to end of row and turn.

Work to centre 8 knit stitches. Knit 1, place 1 on holder, knit 1, place 1 on holder, knit 1, place 1 on holder, knit 1, place 1 on holder, turn. The 4 placket stitches are knit on each row to form garter stitch, the other stitches are continued in rib.

Work in garter/rib until work measures 29cm from cast on edge.

Cast off 9 stitches at placket edge then continue, using K2tog at neck edge for each of next 4 rows. Continue until work measures 33cm from cast on edge.

Cast off 5 stitches at armhole edge.

Work even.

Cast off 6 stitches at armhole edge.

Work even.

Cast off remaining stitches.

Rejoin yarn at sleeve edge to complete the other half of front.

Finishing:
Sew shoulder seams.

Knit up stitches around neck edge and work 10 rows garter stitch, cast off loosely.

Knit up stitches around armholes, knit 1 round, purl 1 round, knit 1 round and cast off knit ways.

13 comments:

innercitygarden said...

Ok, I've already got the wool so I'm good to go with just one question: where is Wil on the height:weight ratio? Because my kid is tall and skinny, but a couple of month older.

I suspect it will be fine with the same number of stitches but a few extra rows. Unless Wil is also on the lean side.

Did Wil play peekaboo around those map of Victoria stands in the entrance at the museum?

Karen S said...

I like it a lot, I will probably knit it for my nephew for this fall.
Thank you so much for such a sweet in-vest-ing.

Oh, I'm also pretty interested in the size of Wil, to have something to compare to.

Di said...

I love it! Thank you for the pattern - I think I might try it!

Angela said...

I want it in my size!

sooz said...

Hi and thanks for the interest! See comments I have added into the post about Wil's size, the garment size and how to upsize the pattern.

innercitygarden said...

As our lad has taken to saying: Taaaa.

I'm not saying it with the patronising tone he uses though.

kt said...

I'm with Angela; any ballpark ideas for grown-up specs?

It's so lovely!

Black Eyed Susie said...

So cute - and so good of you to post it! If only I had more time!

Anne said...

I love it...

I was looking for a vest pattern on Ravelry but I like this pattern better.

My little one has just turned 1 but he is wearing size 2 Bonds jump suits...

Carla said...

Love the vest and will definitely be making one of those for my littlie. I checked out the wool you suggested. I have some of that organic cotton but I think I'll save that for a long sleeved thingy. What about the possum/merino wool. Is it extra soft? I'm wondering how they got the wool off those little possums. Anyway,if you get that wool I'm really looking forward to seeing what colour you dye it.

sexy said...

情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,A片,視訊聊天室,聊天室,視訊,視訊聊天室,080苗栗人聊天室,上班族聊天室,成人聊天室,中部人聊天室,一夜情聊天室,情色聊天室,視訊交友網,A片,A片,A片,A片A片,A片

免費A片,AV女優,美女視訊,情色交友,免費AV,色情網站,辣妹視訊,美女交友,色情影片,成人影片,成人網站,A片,H漫,18成人,成人圖片,成人漫畫,情色網,日本A片,免費A片下載,性愛

A片,色情,成人,做愛,情色文學,A片下載,色情遊戲,色情影片,色情聊天室,情色電影,免費視訊,免費視訊聊天,免費視訊聊天室,一葉情貼圖片區,情色,情色視訊,免費成人影片,視訊交友,視訊聊天,視訊聊天室,言情小說,愛情小說,AIO,AV片,A漫,avdvd,聊天室,自拍,情色論壇,視訊美女,AV成人網,色情A片,SEX,成人論壇

情趣用品,A片,免費A片,AV女優,美女視訊,情色交友,色情網站,免費AV,辣妹視訊,美女交友,色情影片,成人網站,H漫,18成人,成人圖片,成人漫畫,成人影片,情色網


情趣用品,A片,免費A片,日本A片,A片下載,線上A片,成人電影,嘟嘟成人網,成人,成人貼圖,成人交友,成人圖片,18成人,成人小說,成人圖片區,微風成人區,成人文章,成人影城,情色,情色貼圖,色情聊天室,情色視訊,情色文學,色情小說,情色小說,臺灣情色網,色情,情色電影,色情遊戲,嘟嘟情人色網,麗的色遊戲,情色論壇,色情網站,一葉情貼圖片區,做愛,性愛,美女視訊,辣妹視訊,視訊聊天室,視訊交友網,免費視訊聊天,美女交友,做愛影片

av,情趣用品,a片,成人電影,微風成人,嘟嘟成人網,成人,成人貼圖,成人交友,成人圖片,18成人,成人小說,成人圖片區,成人文章,成人影城,愛情公寓,情色,情色貼圖,色情聊天室,情色視訊,情色文學,色情小說,情色小說,色情,寄情築園小遊戲,情色電影,aio,av女優,AV,免費A片,日本a片,美女視訊,辣妹視訊,聊天室,美女交友,成人光碟

情趣用品.A片,情色,情色貼圖,色情聊天室,情色視訊,情色文學,色情小說,情色小說,色情,寄情築園小遊戲,情色電影,色情遊戲,色情網站,聊天室,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,美女視訊,辣妹視訊,視訊聊天室,視訊交友網,免費視訊聊天,免費A片,日本a片,a片下載,線上a片,av女優,av,成人電影,成人,成人貼圖,成人交友,成人圖片,18成人,成人小說,成人圖片區,成人文章,成人影城,成人網站,自拍,尋夢園聊天室

said...

A片,A片,成人網站,成人影片,色情,情色網,情色,AV,AV女優,成人影城,成人,色情A片,日本AV,免費成人影片,成人影片,SEX,免費A片,A片下載,免費A片下載,做愛,情色A片,色情影片,H漫,A漫,18成人

a片,色情影片,情色電影,a片,色情,情色網,情色,av,av女優,成人影城,成人,色情a片,日本av,免費成人影片,成人影片,情色a片,sex,免費a片,a片下載,免費a片下載

情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣

A片,A片,A片下載,做愛,成人電影,.18成人,日本A片,情色小說,情色電影,成人影城,自拍,情色論壇,成人論壇,情色貼圖,情色,免費A片,成人,成人網站,成人圖片,AV女優,成人光碟,色情,色情影片,免費A片下載,SEX,AV,色情網站,本土自拍,性愛,成人影片,情色文學,成人文章,成人圖片區,成人貼圖

情色,AV女優,UT聊天室,聊天室,A片,視訊聊天室


UT聊天室,視訊聊天室,辣妹視訊,視訊辣妹,情色視訊,視訊,080視訊聊天室,視訊交友90739,美女視訊,視訊美女,免費視訊聊天室,免費視訊聊天,免費視訊,視訊聊天室,視訊聊天,視訊交友網,視訊交友,情人視訊網,成人視訊,哈啦聊天室,UT聊天室,豆豆聊天室,
聊天室,聊天,色情聊天室,色情,尋夢園聊天室,聊天室尋夢園,080聊天室,080苗栗人聊天室,柔情聊天網,小高聊天室,上班族聊天室,080中部人聊天室,中部人聊天室,成人聊天室,成人

~ Kim ~ said...

This is perfect. Now I need to buy circular needles and pray that I use them correctly. My son is the same age as Wil. It looks fabulous. Thankyou so much for sharing!!!