Monday, 22 October 2007

everything in its place

I am a storage fiend. If I was boss of the world good storage would be required. For everything.

It is one of the things I like most about Japan, they really get the storage thing. I like the aesthetics and economy of organisation, I also like the functionality of knowing where things are (or at least where they will be when I clean up).

Just love it.

When I was a young single lass living in a series of shared houses, storage was a passion fueled in no small part by my penchant for living in too small spaces and frequent relocating. Moving is a whole lot easier when everything you own is already in a box.

I am particularly fond of wooden boxes and at one point I slept on a bed constructed of enormous ply wood boxes of various sizes and styles that I built as a tribute to the ultimate mobile life. Pretty much everything I owned fitted in there somewhere and at night I felt a bit like I was at sea on a boat. The box boat.

Life doesn't present me with quite so many opportunities for either organisation or metaphoric decor make overs these days, though I am looking forward to getting my hands on my crafting space when the house extension gives us some new room to move. A temple to organisation I tell you.

For now I have to make do with making the kind of bits and pieces storage that helps to keep the things together that tend to get lost. I hate how Amy has all these toys that go together but somehow end up as just a big pile of junk. You can never find enough of any one thing to really have a good play with it. Similarly I hate how I have all these things that somehow get into her big pile of junk.

I have this fantasy that if things come in nice neat packages somehow they will find their way back to where they belong.

So today's offering are a play mat cum storage bag for Amy's farmyard animals. (Scroll down for tips on how to make one). I used the lovely farmyard fabric from Amitie, and the remnants from my knitting bag project. I love the way the bias loops and plaited cotton look a bit fence like around the edge.
Also recently finished is a little felt storage box for my much used stamp alphabet and numerals. I live in fear of losing one but now I can breathe a little easier. Made with the scraps from the felt I made for the play mat which turned into a toy box. For those that asked - the stamps came from Lincraft yonks ago, but they are made by one of the big scrapbooking companies so I am sure you could get them from scrapbooking stores.

And absolutely not storage related, but this month's Whiplash theme has got me all enthused over a UFO I started a while back. Remember the crochet flowers? Well now I have a deadline, stay tuned as the UFO becomes a FO.

How to make a playmat carry bag combo
For little people on the move and struggling to keep their toys in order. I made mine with a farmyard theme, taking advantage of an appropriately printed piece of fabric and a motley collection of wooden, knitted and sewn felt farm animals. But using your imagination you could use the same idea of themes such as under the sea theme, a dolls house, a garden, roads and cars... the sky is the limit!

Materials
* Two circles of fabric of equal size. I used about 60cm diameter, but any size would work, just make sure you don't use heavy weight fabric if making a small bag
* About 60cm of cotton tape or bias binding sewn closed and cut into 12 equal lengths
* Enough heavy weight cotton string, plaited yarn or knitted i-chord to circle your fabric twice

Method
1. Place the two circles right side together.
2. Position and pin the tape loops sandwiched between the fabric circles. At each twelfth marking around the circle (think clock face) place one piece of the cotton tape folded in half with cut sides facing out and fold facing in.
3. Sew the two circles together around the edge leaving a small opening for turning.
4. Turn the pieces inside out, press flat and top stitch as closely to the edge as possible, being careful to catch both edges in the section left open.
5. Thread two lengths of string through each of the tape loops, knot them closed on opposite sides of the circle to form drawstrings.

44 comments:

Amy said...

I love the play mat. I could almost do with one of those for myself!

h&b said...

That playmate is just exquisite !
And yes, the drawstring so does look like fencing ! Love it !

I like everything in a spot where I can find it too. I totally believe in putting 'things back where you find them'.

But I married someone who doesn't, and hence we have about 10 sets of nailclippers about the place, and a special set in a hiding place only I know about...

lucykate crafts... said...

the drawstring playmat is such a brilliant idea, and that farmyard fabric is adorable

nikkishell said...

LOVE the playmat! I have a piece of that fabric too so may just have to be a copycat! Any tips? There were some farm animals at the market the other day and i left them there, i think i should go back on Sunday to pick them up if they're still there.

Geek+Nerd said...

The play mat is awesome! Thanks for sharing the instructions with us :)

meg said...

What a lovely idea. I love it when the beautiful and the useful come together in one project. Thanks for sharing the tutorial, now I have one more thing on my to do list!

amy sahba said...

wow! that play-mat thing is wonderful! Thanks for sharing the instructions...

kat said...

That playmat rocks! You are one clever lady. I can't wait to try that out. Thanks for sharing.

mixtapezine said...

stunning and thanks for sharing!!
justine

anna said...

Wow, this is so cool + I happen to have that material!.

Kate said...

Great playmat and thanks for sharing how to make one.

sue said...

The playmat looks like a great idea, and I love the fabric farmyard panel. Your kids are just so cute and I hope you feel better soon. We have had gastro in the house too, although only Paul has had it. The kids and I have been spared so far as I think we have dealt with enough sickie germs lately.

Alex said...

Oh, I guess when it comes to storing things, Japan has two sides. The one you described and that other one you find not seldomly in normal homes with curtains at the windows that never open. And gardens that are cluttered with garbage and companies that offer to do the big clean up for you...

But do keep up your efforts! Your playmat is beautiful and I love the felt box!

Lesley said...

The playmat is beautiful and the felt storage box and the crochet jewellery - it's all just beautiful!!!
I aspire to great storage but somehow never quite get it right. When I lived alone, not a problem. Living with my terminally unable to tidy after themselves husband and kids it is a major energy sapping problem. Which is why I now sew, knit, crochet etc etc and ignore it as much as possible!!!

nikkishell said...

Thanks for the instructions!

The Wooden Spool said...

this is sooo cool! Love this! I'm off to make one for my 3 year old. Thanks heaps! (laurie from california)

Jo said...

oh how I wish I had that bed you mentioned - we are moving on Saturday and right now I am wishing that all our worldly possessions were already in boxes [sigh].

Great play-mat, love the fence too. and btw where did you source your stamps from?

Di said...

I too used to be able to move in 2 carloads! Luckily I have been living in the same place for a while now!!

I love the farmyard bag! It is really cool - thank you for sharing the instructions with us!!

Jodie said...

That playmat is gorgeous - fancy being able to carry about such a pretty piece of countryside wherever you go. I love it!

kirsten said...

gorgeous farmyard playmat! delightful.
i was also wondering if you might be able to share where you got that fabulous alphabet stamp kit? thank you!

sooz said...

Thanks for all the comments! I think I bought the stamps at Lincraft. I am sure scrapbooking shops would have them.

Angela Savage said...

Hey Sooz, loved your post. I remember fondly your boat/bed/boxes. I also remember figuring out that you have a Virgo ascendant from the profile that mentioned a fascination with maximising space on bench-tops, etc :-)
Your playmat bag idea almost makes me want to try sewing!
Are you still on for tomorrow night? Any ideas for where to go/what to do?
Ang

luckybeans said...

This is brilliant! I am going to make one for Asher who is never without some animals. But what a perfect way to give a gift, too.

Nettie said...

I love this. I think I'm going to make one with roads on the inside for my son to drive his cars on.

Anonymous said...

haha no i recon the bag looks chatty as aye its gayness

Shirley said...

Love the playmat - my two toddlers would adore it.

Helen said...

I love the playmat. I am making a road one for my car obsessed toddler for christmas.

Annie said...

That farmyard playmat is the most beautiful thing I have seen in a long time. What a great idea. I hear you on all the storage issues and LOVED the story of the box bed and being on a boat at sea during the night. I also adored the felt box. I am glad to have found your blog and will be back.

Juni said...

Hi sooz, I absolutely adore that play mat - the beautiful fabric that you've used and the most adorable "fence" drawstring. You have done a wonderful job with this. Its way too cute.

JenO said...

And I could use all that extra cord when it's pulled closed to hang it on the wall, excellent project idea! I think I know what the neices and nephews are getting for christmas this year...

maswey said...

thank you nice sharing
html kodları
cep programlarıcep oyunlarısymbian programsymbian oyunlar

blog said...

thank you nice sharing
Atv Euro 2008 izleAtv Euro 2008 şifre

maswey said...

thank you maswex

Marie said...

I've been trawling round the web looking for some sort of storage bag-cum-play mat to deal with all the Peppa Pig play figures I have accumulating on my living room floor.

I think you just might have saved my life!!! LOL

Thanks for the tutorial. I'm going to get cracking on one of these tonight (assuming I can get to the sewing machine without injuring myself on Peppa or George on the way!!).

xMx

sağlıklıyaşam said...

thank you
Bilgisayar TemalarıAvatar Yapma SiteleriNefret ve Ayrılık Nickleriİnternetten Msn AçmaMsn Şifresi Değiştirme

becka said...

Thanks so much for the tutorial! I just made one of these for the little girl I nanny for. I'm only just getting in to sewing, and I found this so easy and satisfying! I'll post some photos on my blog soon for all to see.

Anonymous said...

That is fantastic!! Uh oh, another project coming on.

And I remember that box bed very well. I even slept in it (not while you were in it).

Great to catch up with you the other day after all this time.

I got the penguin softies book for christmas and saw the pattern for your Arno in there -- my mum made something similar for me when i was little. I no longer have it but recently she dug up the pattern and gave it to me so once it's made i'll send you an image.

xx

liz lopez (from here on in to be known as E-Lo!

sexy said...

情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,A片,視訊聊天室,聊天室,視訊,視訊聊天室,080苗栗人聊天室,上班族聊天室,成人聊天室,中部人聊天室,一夜情聊天室,情色聊天室,視訊交友網,A片,A片,A片,A片A片,A片

免費A片,AV女優,美女視訊,情色交友,免費AV,色情網站,辣妹視訊,美女交友,色情影片,成人影片,成人網站,A片,H漫,18成人,成人圖片,成人漫畫,情色網,日本A片,免費A片下載,性愛

A片,色情,成人,做愛,情色文學,A片下載,色情遊戲,色情影片,色情聊天室,情色電影,免費視訊,免費視訊聊天,免費視訊聊天室,一葉情貼圖片區,情色,情色視訊,免費成人影片,視訊交友,視訊聊天,視訊聊天室,言情小說,愛情小說,AIO,AV片,A漫,avdvd,聊天室,自拍,情色論壇,視訊美女,AV成人網,色情A片,SEX,成人論壇

情趣用品,A片,免費A片,AV女優,美女視訊,情色交友,色情網站,免費AV,辣妹視訊,美女交友,色情影片,成人網站,H漫,18成人,成人圖片,成人漫畫,成人影片,情色網


情趣用品,A片,免費A片,日本A片,A片下載,線上A片,成人電影,嘟嘟成人網,成人,成人貼圖,成人交友,成人圖片,18成人,成人小說,成人圖片區,微風成人區,成人文章,成人影城,情色,情色貼圖,色情聊天室,情色視訊,情色文學,色情小說,情色小說,臺灣情色網,色情,情色電影,色情遊戲,嘟嘟情人色網,麗的色遊戲,情色論壇,色情網站,一葉情貼圖片區,做愛,性愛,美女視訊,辣妹視訊,視訊聊天室,視訊交友網,免費視訊聊天,美女交友,做愛影片

av,情趣用品,a片,成人電影,微風成人,嘟嘟成人網,成人,成人貼圖,成人交友,成人圖片,18成人,成人小說,成人圖片區,成人文章,成人影城,愛情公寓,情色,情色貼圖,色情聊天室,情色視訊,情色文學,色情小說,情色小說,色情,寄情築園小遊戲,情色電影,aio,av女優,AV,免費A片,日本a片,美女視訊,辣妹視訊,聊天室,美女交友,成人光碟

情趣用品.A片,情色,情色貼圖,色情聊天室,情色視訊,情色文學,色情小說,情色小說,色情,寄情築園小遊戲,情色電影,色情遊戲,色情網站,聊天室,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,美女視訊,辣妹視訊,視訊聊天室,視訊交友網,免費視訊聊天,免費A片,日本a片,a片下載,線上a片,av女優,av,成人電影,成人,成人貼圖,成人交友,成人圖片,18成人,成人小說,成人圖片區,成人文章,成人影城,成人網站,自拍,尋夢園聊天室

Inbal Weisman said...

We (mom and 5y girl) made this last friday!
It is so nice!
here is a link to some photos-
http://nishot.blogspot.com/2009/01/blog-post.html

Happy new year 2009
Inbal

said...

A片,A片,成人網站,成人影片,色情,情色網,情色,AV,AV女優,成人影城,成人,色情A片,日本AV,免費成人影片,成人影片,SEX,免費A片,A片下載,免費A片下載,做愛,情色A片,色情影片,H漫,A漫,18成人

a片,色情影片,情色電影,a片,色情,情色網,情色,av,av女優,成人影城,成人,色情a片,日本av,免費成人影片,成人影片,情色a片,sex,免費a片,a片下載,免費a片下載

情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣

A片,A片,A片下載,做愛,成人電影,.18成人,日本A片,情色小說,情色電影,成人影城,自拍,情色論壇,成人論壇,情色貼圖,情色,免費A片,成人,成人網站,成人圖片,AV女優,成人光碟,色情,色情影片,免費A片下載,SEX,AV,色情網站,本土自拍,性愛,成人影片,情色文學,成人文章,成人圖片區,成人貼圖

情色,AV女優,UT聊天室,聊天室,A片,視訊聊天室


UT聊天室,視訊聊天室,辣妹視訊,視訊辣妹,情色視訊,視訊,080視訊聊天室,視訊交友90739,美女視訊,視訊美女,免費視訊聊天室,免費視訊聊天,免費視訊,視訊聊天室,視訊聊天,視訊交友網,視訊交友,情人視訊網,成人視訊,哈啦聊天室,UT聊天室,豆豆聊天室,
聊天室,聊天,色情聊天室,色情,尋夢園聊天室,聊天室尋夢園,080聊天室,080苗栗人聊天室,柔情聊天網,小高聊天室,上班族聊天室,080中部人聊天室,中部人聊天室,成人聊天室,成人

liveshow said...

視訊交友網 - kk俱樂部視訊交友網 - kk俱樂部視訊交友網 - kk俱樂部視訊交友網 - kk俱樂部視訊交友網 - kk俱樂部視訊交友網 - kk俱樂部KK情色視訊俱樂部KK情色視訊俱樂部KK情色視訊俱樂部KK情色視訊俱樂部KK情色視訊俱樂部KK情色視訊俱樂部KK情色視訊俱樂部KK情色視訊俱樂部KK情色視訊俱樂部KK情色視訊俱樂部視訊聊天室 - 69成人視訊聊天室 - 69成人視訊聊天室 - 69成人視訊聊天室 - 69成人視訊聊天室 - 69成人視訊聊天室 - 69成人視訊聊天室 - 69成人視訊聊天室 - 69成人視訊聊天室 - 69成人視訊聊天室 - 69成人辣妹視訊-素人AV女優辣妹視訊-素人AV女優辣妹視訊-素人AV女優辣妹視訊-素人AV女優辣妹視訊-素人AV女優辣妹視訊-素人AV女優辣妹視訊-素人AV女優辣妹視訊-素人AV女優辣妹視訊-素人AV女優辣妹視訊-素人AV女優視訊情人色色網視訊情人色色網視訊情人色色網視訊情人色色網視訊情人色色網視訊情人色色網aa片免費看微風論壇080哈啦聊天室6k聊天室成人聊天室上班族捷克論壇大眾論壇plus論壇080視訊聊天室520視訊聊天室尋夢園上班族聊天室成人聊天室上班族 a片a片影片免費情色影片免費a片觀看小弟第貼影片區免費av影片免費h影片試看 H漫 - 卡通美女短片小魔女貼影片免費影片觀賞無碼a片網美女pc交友相簿美女交友-哈啦聊天室中文a片線上試看免費電影下載區免費試看a短片免費卡通aa片觀看女優影片無碼直播免費性感a片試看日本AV女優影音娛樂網日本av女優無碼dvd辣妹視訊 - 免費聊天室美女交友視訊聊天室080免費視訊聊天室尋夢園聊天室080苗栗人聊天室a片下載日本免費視訊美女免費視訊聊天

6508269988 said...

色咪咪影片網色咪咪影片網色咪咪影片網色咪咪影片網色咪咪影片網色咪咪影片網色咪咪影片網色咪咪影片網甜心寶貝貼影片甜心寶貝貼影片甜心寶貝貼影片甜心寶貝貼影片甜心寶貝貼影片甜心寶貝貼影片甜心寶貝貼影片甜心寶貝貼影片甜心寶貝貼影片甜心寶貝貼影片msn 聊天室入口msn 聊天室入口msn 聊天室入口msn 聊天室入口msn 聊天室入口msn 聊天室入口msn 聊天室入口msn 聊天室入口msn 聊天室入口msn 聊天室入口台灣 yahoo 聊天室入口台灣 yahoo 聊天室入口台灣 yahoo 聊天室入口台灣 yahoo 聊天室入口台灣 yahoo 聊天室入口台灣 yahoo 聊天室入口台灣 yahoo 聊天室入口台灣 yahoo 聊天室入口台灣 yahoo 聊天室入口台灣 yahoo 聊天室入口she say 聊天室入口she say 聊天室入口she say 聊天室入口she say 聊天室入口she say 聊天室入口she say 聊天室入口she say 聊天室入口she say 聊天室入口she say 聊天室入口she say 聊天室入口tu 聊天室入口tu 聊天室入口tu 聊天室入口tu 聊天室入口tu 聊天室入口tu 聊天室入口tu 聊天室入口tu 聊天室入口tu 聊天室入口tu 聊天室入口yahoo 聊天室入口yahoo 聊天室入口yahoo 聊天室入口yahoo 聊天室入口yahoo 聊天室入口yahoo 聊天室入口yahoo 聊天室入口yahoo 聊天室入口yahoo 聊天室入口yahoo 聊天室入口聊天室入口 yam聊天室入口 yam聊天室入口 yam聊天室入口 yam聊天室入口 yam聊天室入口 yam聊天室入口 yam聊天室入口 yam聊天室入口 yam聊天室入口 yamek21 聊天室入口ek21 聊天室入口ek21 聊天室入口ek21 聊天室入口ek21 聊天室入口ek21 聊天室入口ek21 聊天室入口ek21 聊天室入口ek21 聊天室入口ek21 聊天室入口ut 聊天室入口ut 聊天室入口ut 聊天室入口ut 聊天室入口ut 聊天室入口

Corrine said...

that mat is so stinking cute!!!!

my son is about to have a lego birthday party, and thinking about making those as a party gift....think i can do it??

Deb said...

Love this idea. Thanks so much for sharing it with us. Here is the one I made for my son's birthday. You rock!http://treasurehuntergirl.blogspot.com/2011/12/hand-made-presents.html
D
x