Wednesday, 16 May 2007

knitted jeans

I really didn't like dealing with the dyed blue hands bit of knitting with denim. Totally not conducive to quick rows on the sly, I couldn't carry it in the new knitting bag for fear of dye rub and I spent more time vigorously washing my hands that I was comfortable with.

I'm also generally not a fan of knitting cottons and although I liked the look of this project I had my doubts for almost every step of the way. Perhaps I should have used a smaller needle. Perhaps I should have made them smaller. Perhaps I should have made them out of wool. Perhaps it will never soften and stay too scratchy.

I was wrong wrong wrong. Not about the inconvenience of knitting, that was real I tell you, but about my doubts on the garment. A hot wash and a turn in the tumble dryer has totally transformed these into thick soft jeans, exactly the right size. So very glad I (mostly) did as I was told.

Info
Pattern - demin drawstring pants from Last Minute Knitted Gifts, size 3-6 months.
Yarn - Freedom denim shade 102, 2.5 balls, 125gms.
Needles - 4mm circs and dpns. All metal baby.
Pattern variations - I added an itty bitty gusset in the crutch. Not sure if it will make much of a difference, but I just couldn't have back and front the same without a gusset. I think it was only my first or second ever sewing outing that taught be you just can't make pants with matching fronts and backs. People just aren't made that way. Time and wear will tell me more. Also, I added elastic in the waistband for comfort and used a plaited string rather than an I-cord because, quite frankly, I couldn't be fagged.

7 comments:

Helen said...

Ooh I've been eyeing off that pattern thinking it was very cute. But wondering if it was at all practical - would love to see them on! Have you seen the baby cargo pants pattern on knitty? Also very cute.

sooz said...

Helen, the pattern is pretty much identical construction wise, and they seem pretty practical so far! Wil has worn them all day.

ms. pea said...

great knit!

pen & purl said...

Hi Soozs,

Love the jeans! Very cute.

Hope you don't mind, but I've tagged you for 'Seven Random Things'. Apologies if you have an aversion to memes or have done this one already! Check out my blog at http://penandpurl.wordpress.com for the rules if you want to participate. :)

Di said...

Great work- I love the braided cord. I generally can't be fagged with I-cords either, so it's nice to have another option to think of!

sexy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
信次 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.