I finally finished my back pack to go with the baby bjorn front pouch. I can now leave the house for a full day of adventure without a pusher have my hands free and be able to get to my wallet and phone with short notice. Not to mention looking super stylish.
I just love Kristen's Mollybirds fabric!
The bag is a variation of the same idea that Amy has used here - she's done a fabulous tutorial but here's a quick run through of how I did mine.
The front and back are two plain rectangles, mine are roughly 30x35cm, but you can use any dimensions you like. I used patterned linen for the front (Mollybirds from Kristen Doran - gorgeous!) and matching plain linen for the back, base and handles. I used a piece of plain stone coloured cotton for the lining (an offmcut from when I turned a flat sheet into the underside of a doona cover).
The base is an oval, but you can use a circle if you don't mind the pack protruding from your back more. I made one that was a guess on size - start bigger, pin on and cut down if necessary. If you are good at math you could probably work it out but I'm not - trial and error all the way! ;-)
I then added interfacing and a single layer or cotton wadding to the base using some decorative stitching.
I made long flat tubes of fabric and sewed them flat with decorative stitching for the handles. Some padding would have been nice but I was trying to keep things simple. Leave the top short end open to add the lacing later.
I inserted the tubes into the side seams of the outer layer, angled up at approximately 45 degrees. and sewed them in. Next I sewed the base to the sides. I used the same steps to sew the lining. I then pressed a turn over around the upper opening of both the inner and outer layers and put the lining inside.
Next I made 10 little loops for the top. I made another long and very thin loop like the handles and cut it into shorter lengths and doubled them over. Pin the loops into the seam between the inner and out layers, leaving the space above the side seams loop free. Run one or two rows of top stitch around the top to secure the loops in place and attach the inner and out layers to each other.
Next choose something for threading the loops shut - I used a very thick cotton webbed shoe lace, but any kind of string, ribbon or cord would do. Cut two lengths, each just long enough to thread through all the loops. Starting at one side seam, thread all the way through the loops and attach the ends into the open end of your handle and sew down. Do the same on the other side.
Of course, you can add pockets and various embellishments inside and out for a more comprehensive version.
And Amy's new beret turned out surprisingly well given that I totally guessed that knitting the large adult size in 4 ply instead of 8 would provide the exact right size for her. Could have been very wrong, but was in fact absolutely right. Thank you oh knit gods. And I love the diamond rib detail!
Pattern: Interweave Knits Tweed Beret (Winter 2006)
Yarn: Cleckheaton bambino merino 4ply - 33gms sans pompom.
Needles: 3.25 dpns
Some lovely gifties for me from the gorgeous and ever generous Justine and from Jade as part of the Flibbertygibbert fabric swap.
And a couple of wee gifties from me
for recipients yet to receive.