Saturday, 24 March 2007

week 6 (or: the great escape)

I've been doing a few things I don't normally do. It's something to do with trying not to do motherhood the same way twice I guess. It's not conscious choices so much as an instinct for change, an implicit acknowledgement that some of the choices I made when Amy was a baby probably contributed to me finding it all too hard.

I've been out to dinner at friends. I made a proper dessert (pecan cheesecake which is really delicious and terribly bad for you - recipe anyone?) and took a bassinet and didn't feel stressed at all. Except knocking back the offer of champagne. That was hard.

I went shopping on the other side of town. Being a non-driver, a (mostly) non-shopper and dedicated Northern suburbs resident, I find the upmarket shopping strips of the Eastern and Southern suburbs all a bit scary. So full of gorgeous expensive things. Things I can't afford and don't need. Things I forget as soon as I'm out of the shop but which, while present in my field of vision seem to be suddenly essential to my existence.

And everyone is so nicely dressed and their clothes are ironed and their hair and make up are done. I keep expecting the fashion police to tap me on the shoulder and send me home to my side of the river or at least tell me to brush my hair and put some lippy on. I think it was having a beautiful six week old baby strapped to my chest that got me the free pass.

There were a couple of places I'd been wanting to visit for a while so my mate the felt dealer and I made a day of it. It was such a trek to get to them (you Melbournians will know about the explosions in the Burnley tunnel - I couldn't have picked a worse day to head across town on the roads. And the weather? The hottest March day for something like 60 years - just great for schlepping around with a baby!) I did a little purchasing.

First stop was Patchwork on Central Park. All I can say is we are all lucky I don't live near this shop. I felt giddy in there.

Next stop was AK. Holy crap. I am so deeply in love with this place, I could happily have bought every single thing they make, from the giant felt dolls to the tiny felt animal finger puppets, the toy yurts and sculpted felt wall hangings to the hand knitted baby clothes and felt toy boxes. I managed to restrain myself to these two tiny people and a kit to knit a doll. You'll be seeing more of her in the future.

On the way home we made a quick stop at Zakkaya, which is actually quite local for me (I used to live just around the corner), but for reasons I can't explain I've never been there before. My first step in gender stereotyping, some gorgeous trim and a little ceramic dish.

Lots more to say but I'm out of time! Monday will be my blogaversary here on blogger so I'll be trying to make the time to do a witty and engaging post that reminds you all of why you bother to come over and read my words and look at my pictures. I'll also be sharing the joy with a give away or two to thank you for tuning in too so I hope you'll all come by and say hi.

10 comments:

ljmax said...

Good for you on getting out...it can be so hard in those early weeks. I'd love the recipe for that tempting looking cake sometime if you get a chance to post it!

kt said...

Ooh, what a happy post to read!

I'm going to pass on a cherished tradition to you. Once upon a time, DH and I had friends in our neighborhood. There were occasions when we couldn't all get together on our special days, and for this, our frinds initiated "the birthday radius". Thus, the celebrations were celebrated whenever we could gt together--before, during, or after "THE" day.

So, happy blogaversry radius in case I don't see you on Monday!

Kiss those babes of yours for me.

Jill said...

Look like a fantastic day! I will definitely have to get to Patchwork on Central Park one day (when I first heard of it I thought it was in New York, not just in a neighbouring state!) :-)

Aurora said...

Lovely pictures, good for you! Time for you is essential.

Rachael said...

OMG! what gorgeous fabric....but I'm in lust with the cake......

Violet & Rose said...

Doing a google search for AK was how I came across the wonderful world of blogs! And I went to Zakkaya yesterday. Got to say, I was a bit dissappointed. I went for rubber stamps and was sorely let down. Some lovely things, but I was expecting more stock I think. That cheesecake looks lethal!

dizzyjadey said...

Hi! Don't think I've commented before, but been reading your blog for months now. I empathise with you on the post-pregnancy outing feelings. Even a simple walk around the block was hard. Thankfully the early weeks go quickly!

Thanks for the shopping haunt tips. Must get to Melbourne, soon!

SadieandLance said...

I'm bloody happy I don't live near Patchwork on Central Park either, way too tempting. I couldn't resist that beautiful Japanese fabric with the bikes on it either. Congrats on being a Mum about the town!

tiel s-k said...

firstly I just want to say that I have only known your blog site for about 6 months and it is your rambling that I love the best. I don't often get time (being a mother of youngsters myself) to read every post, but I do enjoy the ones I read. ANd secondly, thank you for your links to those lovely places. I used to live in Melbourne but never went to any of those places. I'm coming down later in the year so I will add them to my list!

susan sobon said...

oh my i am so jealous of all your lovely finds!!! such gorgeous fabrics, every one of them. and those little felt dolls!!!! sweeeeter than sweet. happy blogoversary!!
bigfatladybug@yahoo.com