Wednesday, 21 February 2007

rock a bye baby

Thank you so much everyone for your congratulations and well wishes. It is a lovely time right now, though there isn't much time and space for blogging about all the cool stuff that's going on, a few pics help you get the idea. Glad some of you are enjoying the vicarious pleasures.

I did want to say a big thanks too for the organisers and participants of the bloggettogether - I had such a lovely time. It was especially good to feel so tolerated for being a brain dead post natal breast feeding baby hugger.

I've re-entered that half formed thought and lost conversation thread phase again that comes with caring for an infant. Always distracted, always forgetting my manners, often forgetting what I was saying.

So thank you all for the fantastic gifts (I really want the recipes for the jam biscuits and the passionfruit melting moments - my goodness they were good) and sorry I wasn't better at getting to talk to you all and personally thank you all for the pressies. Next time I'll be better.

Oh and in case anyone else who came is a non-knitter confused by my gift - they are stitch markers!

Here's Wil asleep in his hammock. Just wanted to share the hammock thing, since I'm sure lots of you out there haven't ever seen one.

We bought it for Amy after a couple of people we knew had great success in settling grumpy babies in them. It's such a soothing and cosy looking place. It's made of calico with a futon style cotton mattress insert. It comes from a company called Natures Sway in NZ.

It hangs from the ceiling by a chain and spring, so you can give it a little push as you go past and keep the baby moving. I can't recommend them highly enough.

Wil seems to like it too.
And in the never ending saga of crazy under and overuse of yarn I offer up this latest. The Mia jacket by Debbie Bliss, knitted in the 4-5 year size. The pattern calls for 624 m of merino aran, but I only used 455 m of Naturally Sensation 10 ply.

I used the same size needles, made gauge and the finished garment is the right size. I just don't get how it's possible to get the yarn amount so wrong if you go by yardage. Clearly I am a knitting FREAK!

So it looks like Wil is in line for something from the left overs.

11 comments:

justine said...

gosh i felt like a dickhead saying "thanks for the earings"!!! but how was i meant to know!!!!!! they are very pretty to look at! and I love my panda bear ;) Thanks so much for coming, it was lovely to meet you and your family.

Violet & Rose said...

It was lovely to meet you - and the family - and I do have to admit that I did at first think they were earings too, so Justine needn't feel she is Robinson Crusoe on that one! I did mean to post the passionfruit melting moment recipe, I'll do it soon. Love the hammock - do they come in large sizes for Mum's too?

sooz said...

Yeah, pretty much every adult who comes in the front door asks about how they can get a piece of the hammock action. I wish!

I'll lie in wait for the melting moments recipe Jo.

NIchola said...

your gift, Mia tried to swipe the Panda as soon as i got in the house! I love the hammock, what a fabulous idea.

African Kelli said...

MANY many congrats!

manda said...

that hammock is wonderful. lucky little Wil.(congratulations and blessings :-) ) i love reading your blog :-) I have a hammock that my kids love to sit in and i once loved to sit in, but it now makes me feel something like car sick if i rock in it.

ms. pea said...

congrats on a happy new baby. i have been wanting to knit that mia jacket. i love yours - great color!

~vicki said...

congratulations!! your little guy is adorable---looks just like his papa. oh, how i wish i'd had a hammock like this for all my babes. it does seem the perfect transition for them; very womb like.

and that sweater is beautiful!

take care xox

sue said...

I love the baby swing/sling. I wish I had one of those 5 yrs ago with my daughter. Wil looks very cute in it too. I love the Debbie Bliss jacket, very pretty.

shula said...

Those hammocks are the best. I discovered them in hospital right after mine was born. She'd been on a 18 hour screaming stint for the nurses, and the hammock was the only thing that worked (to their immense relief).

Magical.

jessica said...

what an incredible place to sleep in the baby hammock.