Tuesday, 6 February 2007

pressies!

It's been a hot couple of days, which is bad, but I got to see three films in two days, which is good.

There were a couple of weird experiences - like seeing the ads at a mainstream suburban cinema. Two ads featured exactly the same piece of music ("all around me are familiar faces, worn out faces, worn out places...it's a funny kind of sad because the dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had...mad world").

One was for a new xbox game in a post apocalyptic shoot em up world and the other was for our most mainstream nightly news broadcast. Who thought juxtaposing those two things was a good idea?

And then they played the new Colette Dinnigan credit card ad (which I have seen at every film I've been to in the last month, which is five!), except the projectionist loaded it upside down and played it backwards. I had Twin Peaks flashbacks!

It was also kind of strange to see an 'indie/art house' film about African politics (The Last King of Scotland) and then a 'mainstream action pic' about African politics (Blood Diamond) back to back. Surprisingly I found them both rivetting and thought provoking - and despite my adoration of Forrest Whitaker and my general disdain for Leonardo DiCaprio I found both leads equally compelling.

It's been a while since I've been to a suburban multiplex and I have to say the seats were small and unconfortable, the place was grotty and smelly and the tickets were more expensive. But the ads were more surreal...

And on to the post topic, which is wow - presents! You bloggers are amazing!! Get up the duff and everyone gives :-)

This lovely crafter from far away sought out my address and sent these for thumper.I love their squareness and lovely soft yarn - thank you so much Tanja you are too too kind.

And Suse, who knits and blogs some of my favourite stuff has gifted thumper's first doll - isn't it a ripper? Such generosity! I love it, thanks Suse. Especially the lovely rainbow wool. And the pointy hat. There's not enough pointy hats in the world I say.

2 comments:

ms. pea said...

it's so true. the world needs more pointy hats. hats in general, really.

Anonymous said...

some people in the video game industry think that ad is the main reason the game sold so well, cuz its not thar great or original of a game. btw, it's a remake of a tears for fears song. the original is much different!