Friday, 24 November 2006

very pleasing

FinishedThe Baby Yoda, knitted in Debbie Bliss cashmreino aran duck egg blue. Nicole, I swear I'm not stalking you. But you know, you lead, I follow. I love this pattern and want it in a larger size - anyone out there able to modify it? I have a very envious 4 year old sulking as we speak.

StartedCan you guess what my first amigarumi is going to be? More importantly can you guess when I am going to learnt o spell that word? Can you believe I might actually be finishing something which is (a) crocheted (b) on a tiny freaking hook (c) has 11 separate pieces?!

ContemplatingAfter seeing Alison's new baby sling, I'm all confused about which way to go. I'd also considered making this which I've tried on and isn't nearly as complicated as it looks, but it is quite a different deal to go for the extra close hug as opposed to the sling. I had a pouch with Amy and it wasn't very good - with my curves there were too many places for her to get lost! So I get the general gist, but if anyone can translate the Japanese on this pattern I would be eternally grateful and would be happy to exchange a favour?

12 comments:

nicole said...

I've been feeling lately like there's someone looking over my shoulder! ;)

Friggin fantastic yoda!! Now cute!

Anonymous said...

I have both the Hugabub and a ring sling, and the Hugabub is really more comfortable for me. The weight is distributed evenly between 2 shoulders compared to the sling where the weight is more on one shoulder. But I think it is not so noticable with a younger baby.

Karen said...

I carried my first daughter in a wrap (a didymos :http://www.didymos.de/english/index_e.htm )

I was very pleased with it- it is very versatile and confortable even with a 2 year old toddler-

I'm now pregnant with my second baby I'll keep my wrap for sure but this time I would like to try the pouch (at home or for short "trips") and I'm gonna make it by myself.

I recommend you this site :
http://www.thebabywearer.com/

you need to register to access the forum - you've got links and tuto to make your own sling / pouch / wrap etc....

merrilymerrily said...

I'd go the hug a bub- I have LOTS of different types of slings and pouches and for a long wear (more than 1/2 hour) the hug a bub style is the comfiest for a small baby. Also because it's stretchy you can pop them in and out at will. I have a pouch like you're contemplating for keeping in the car and nappy bag for ducking into the shops or picking up no. 1 from school. Just about anything you choose will be better than those strappy store bought things designed for boobless people.

nichola said...

After seeing Allison's i've contemplated making a pouch to carry Esme in when Mia is tired and wants to be in the pusher. So, if anyone figures it out i'd be grateful if you'd share.xx

Kate said...

I always managed to end up with them upside down in a sling - it looks so effortless on other people. I used (and still do) a Storchenwiege.
I'm impressed with the amigurumi - it's going to be very cute!

Melanie said...

I heartily recommend the hug-a-bub. I bought one, and then made another. They have been lifesavers with both my babes, so much better on my back, and very comfortable for long wearing.

sueeeus said...

The yoda is fabulous! And I agree with all those hug a bub comments. The weight distribution over two shoulders is so comfortable.

Anonymous said...

When I was in China all the peasant women carried their babies in one of those, sometimes on their front but mostly on their backs. It looked comfortable, it was super-practical, and the slings were beautiful, gorgeous embroidery. I considered buying one to bring home even though neither I nro anyone I know is even close to procreating.

velcro said...

The FB absolutely refused to go into any sling and just screamed and screamed until we took him out again so I won't be bothering to get one with the Peanut.
I love that Yoda cardi though and have asked my dearest mama to knit it for me or rather the Peanut as I am slightly too big for it

Marni said...

I agree with other posters, a wraparound carrier is easier than it looks (easier than the ring sling or the pouch for most of us) and so versatile.

Enjoy the little one!

Lucy said...

My SIL nextdoor is Japanese. If you are still looking for a translation we would be happy to help. I am little intersted in the translation myself now.