Saturday, 11 November 2006

things that are making me happy in late spring

Finishing Amy's new hot pink cardi. The pattern is Rowan's Relish and though that fringing is a bit tedious, in genreal it's a lovely pattern. Amy chose the purple pom poms from my collection from Northern Thailand.

Zucchini flowers - because the zucchinis can't be far behind - and a mass of dill. Just waiting for Zucchini and dill pie with fetta.

Strawberries. Looking a bit skanky now, but once they get their toes in they will be big, fat and juicy.

What looks to be a bumper crop of raspberries, perhaps even before christmas!

Passionfruit flowers. So trippy and crazy looking and then we get the fruit - that's two great garden delights for the price of one!

A self seeded lettuce that is literally growing out of the mortar between the bricks. The power of vegetation amazes and delights me on a daily basis.

The Kaffir lime, the flannel flowers and the new magnolia. The deck seems to sprout new pot plants each week.

I barely ever get to cook these peas, I prefer to eat them straight from the pod when I'm wandering about the garden. They are so sweet and fresh tasting.

The broadbeans. I'm running out of ideas for using these up - I can't remember what I used to cook with them aside from risotto with peas and bacon.

I have trouble with cucumbers in my garden, they seem to shrivel and die before they mature, but this one looks like a stayer. And since D hates cucumbers it will be a battle between Amy and I for who gets the lion's share.

The walnut tree might eventually be cropping after five years of patience. Last year we had one nut, but it was all rotten and yukky when we finally picked it. Did we leave it too long? Does it have a disease or lack nutrients? To be honest we planted it because it was recommended as a top class 'climbing' tree and D was adamant that all kids should grow up with a tree to climb. The nuts, however, would be greatly appreciated since most walnuts here are imported and stale.

A field of what will soon be the happy bobbing heads of sunflowers. A plain label brand of birdseed ($1.99) and some good protection from hungry birds and voila!

I have planted no less than 10 different types of tomatoes this year - why have them all the same?! - but these romas are the first to grow to full size.

The espelier apple trees (fuji and pink lady) have a good 15 or so apples on them and I am deleriously happy. Best use of a fence ever known to a gardener.

Being barefoot on the grass reading an absolutely rivetting and dreamy book. Thanks for the loan Ang! The size isn't exactly what I ordered in the commuter friendly department, but geez it's great to be enchanted by a good book all over again.

A new knitting project, inspired by this.

Indulging my obsessive collecting of storage vessels. These jars are so lovely, so beautifully proportioned, and nice and solid. Like squat old fashioned milk bottles. I can see them all lined up on a window sill filled with buttons and beads. So where did I come across them? Well I can have as many as I want, so long as I keep indulging in eating milk custard from Bread Top. Is it too shameful to admit this is now going to be Amy's special treat from mummy when she goes to work? Trouble is, she appears to have inherited the storage vessel gene from me. We're going to have to eat a lot of custard if one of us isn't going to be very disappointed.

And I have other book news, and I'm busting to tell because it's very exciting, but I'm waitiing for a few answers from the far away publisher and the arrival of a package in the mail. It's all taking so long, very frustrating, but you could get a sneak peek here.

And I've discovered that at least part of my overwhelming tiredness is not due to the increasingly violent nocturnal activities going on inside my belly (we've nicknamed this one thumper). My 26 week glucose challenge test revealled not gestational diabetes (thankfully!) but a very low iron count. So I'm trying to eat lots of steak and take iron tablets with vitamin C and not with calcium or tea since they stop you absorbing iron. The whole thing is monstrously complex! Still, hopefully I'll start to feel a little more alive soon, even if I am as constipated as all hell.

Whew, there goes Saturday morning. Time to get some action happening around here.

7 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm so jealous of your passion fruit. Passion fruit definitely does not grow in Minnesota. I love the stuff though. That slightly funky flavor is delicious. I was horribly ill during both my pregnancies and one of the things that made me feel slighty better was the pomegranate passionfruit sorbet my husband made for me. Sounds good even now when I'm not pregnant and the temperature is hovering near freezing.

The Shopping Sherpa said...

I have a friend who has a broad bean and potato dip she swears by - can't remember the complete recipe but it had beans, potatoes (obviously!), garlic and olive oil in it. Let me know if you need me to track it down.

Great choice of book, by the way!

nichola said...

Your garden is fabulous! I so want to grow fruit and vegetables, just need to get started somehow.

kt said...

What a bursting-with-life post!

Glad your garden is going strong, and gladder that you're finding ways to make your body feel better.

Happy weekend!

Janet said...

Wow Sooz, your garden is looking amazing. I'm gobsmacked that you have tomatoes and cucumbers already! I haven't even planted mine yet. And I love those passionfruit flowers too!

I've been down the iron supplement path too & it wasn't pretty. I won't go into gory detail here but when I was pregnant with Grace my best friends were metamucil, durolax and dried figs. Hope that wasn't too much information.

And congrats on the whipup feature. You are a star :)

Anonymous said...

Those pictures of your garden have really inspired me to go and sort out the vegetable patch so we can have some goodness like that next year.

And the iron thing? I seem to recall that dried apricots are good for iron and constipation - multitasking or what!

Suse said...

Oh isn't that just the BEST book? I loved it.

Broad beans - you can mash em up into a dip I seem to remember.

Also I have to ask, how on earth did you get flannel flowers to grow? I bought some horrendously expensive seeds from the Bot Gardens and the info on the back said, soak em, plant em, keep em moist until they germinate, which by the way, TAKES TWELVE MONTHS. No freaking way.

And how can you have tomatoes already? Jealous.