Monday, 13 November 2006

rainy monday

It's cold and wet again. Don't get me wrong, we're happy to see water falling from the sky now that it happens so rarely and I'm not even feeling the cold too badly. But forgive me if I am still thinking wistfully of days in the sun. It is November afterall.

This morning we baked these rhubarb muffins, another stunning creation from the unbeatable Stephanie. I did fiddle and added cinnamon sugar on the top which is probably some kind of sin as far as Stephanie is concerned. (It's strange and irrational but Stpehanie is the voice in my head that's my cooking conscience - kind of like the kitchen super-ego.)

We were lucky enough to have some delicious home grown rhubarb from Janet's garden and what was left after the muffins went in the pan for some stewed rhubarb. Unfortunately I was so busy doing this

That I ended up with this
and a house full of the smell of burning sugar.

I'm not at all sure about the necklace. I love the colours of the pearls. and pearls are always my most favourite accessory it maternity times, seeing as how they are something precious made by something alive. But I worry it might be a bit too much for my generally understated style. I wanted something chunkier than my usual single string type necklaces, but I don't know how well I can carry something so busy. Besides I can't possibly wear them with my current favourite earrings, since I just can't do the whole matching set thing.So I'll finish the necklace, but I'm figuring it might not last too long and I might be on the prowl for some nice big beads of some kind instead. But I am beginning to wonder if my search for the perfect necklace isn't really just a distraction from what I really need, which is a new handbag. Or two. But that's a whole other post.

6 comments:

nichola said...

Nice muffins luv!

Kate said...

Nice earrings - you can never go wrong with pearls - I loved living in the Kimberley and people wore them all day, everyday. I always forget I'm stewing fruit - it is such a pain to scrub the saucepan.

jessica said...

too bad about the burnt pot.
i like the earrings.

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about not feeling able to wear them. I am surprisingly conservative when it comes to things I wear, most especially jewellery.

But that's one of the things I love about making something yourself (or someone making it for you), it's not just a necklace, or whatever, its a piece of love and pride... ooh, that's sounds very pretentious, doesn't it.

Anyway, I think you should give them a go on, they might turn out to be your most favourite ever. Personally i'd just like to keep them in those little pots so I could just look at them... aren't they beautiful. Lucky you!

moki said...

I love your color coordinated post!

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love rhubarb. I wish it was spring/summer here.

I think your earrings are lovely. I hope you choose to wear them. I think they would look really nice with the skirt you sewed a while back that had the stitching down toward the hem that was sort of a sun/star shape.