Tuesday, 17 October 2006

the rhythm of life

To KT and the others who have asked after how things are panning out with the job I realise it's probably about time to have a post on something other than my project list. With so little blogging time left in my days I am falling into that nuts and bolts way of mine that I really don't much like. So it's time for a little reflection.

Of the job I can only say good things. My new workplace seems better than average in terms of minimising effort wasting, which means I feel like I go to work, I do stuff and go home. Nothing more, nothing less. When I'm there I think through some interesting problems, complicated and conflicted problems to be sure, but I don't feel overwhelmed or frustrated or pessimistic. Perhaps I am getting older and wiser, or perhaps it's the perspective of the temporary part-time worker, but it's how work should be. Engaging without engulfing.

I am also deeply impressed with the building in which I work. It's a brand new high rise, which by nature is not my chosen environment, but it's got some fine features. It makes me realise what a significant influence D has had on me that I can spot the differences. The ceiling heights are higher than average and it's amazing what a difference it makes. The windows run from floor to ceiling on all sides, and the partitions between workspaces are low and topped with glass, so the whole floor is awash with natural light and fantastic views (yes, I'll take a camera when I can).

And I love that there are no bins at desks. If you have something that needs to be tossed you have to get up off your butt and walk over to the waste stations, labeled recycling, paper, compost and landfill. Hear that? They COMPOST in a 40 storey office tower and they tell it like it is when it comes to non-recyclable waste. Makes me think twice every time I have something I no longer want.

I'm loving the chance to read and knit on the tram ride into work, though I am significantly less impressed that I often don't get a seat despite being obviously pregnant. My tram route is through a very large park with more than its fair share of winding and wobbling and I need both hands to hold on and if I try to read I feel nauseous. As I stand above the packs of loud school boys and girls who hog the seats when they are supposed to stand for ANY adult, let alone a preggers one, I start to feel really cross.

More so because I chastise myself for not standing up for my rights by asking for a seat, but somehow I find that really hard. I really believe I should take on the role of enforcing community standards, as members of a community it is a job we all share, but I just can't do it. It's not exactly that I'm scared of them, the whole thing just makes me uncomfortable. So I feel cross and guilty and basically it's a crap way to start the day.

I'm progressing through the pregnancy, increasingly aware of the presence of the baby and it's invasion of my body. The kicking is really different this time around. With Amy the placenta was on the front wall, and she seemed to prefer being head down from as early as I can remember, so I felt the kicks up high. But this little tyke is most definitely a head up guy with a back wall placenta, so the kicking is always down. When I'm sitting or standing it feels like it's right on top of my cervix or public bone, when I lie down it's always just inside my hip on the low side. It's frustrating the hell out of D I can tell you that he can never catch a feel of the drum beat.

I'm not complaining, I'm actually in fine form. We've been illness free for weeks now and despite the waddling and niggling and the periodic waves of fatigue that keep me struggling to stay awake, I feel great. Nothing like that first trimester misery or that third trimester where you can't wait for it all to be over but you're kind terrified at the same time. Right now I can just relax and be pregnant, which makes a nice change.

3 comments:

nichola said...

Glad to hear all is well. I've been feeling clucky recently reading all about pregnant bloggers, then this week i had a teething Esme and a temper tantrum throwing Mia all in one go. I think i'll wait a while ;-)

tiel s-k said...

riding on a tram sounds wonderful...except for the school kids. Stand up for your rights.DO IT DO IT...If not, then stand on their bags and 'accidently' squash their lunch or homework.At least then, you might be able to sit and read for longer.

Nora said...

I can understand adults not offering a seat (sometimes it's difficult to detect if said adults have 'health issues/ailments' themselves)... but, the school-kids NEED to be told! Just smile and ask if you could 'have a seat please". Failing that, the knitting needles in your bag can look quite menacing - given the right circumstances! x