Monday, 9 October 2006

doing my head in

The learning curve stretches ever upward.The pattern says 5x 50gm balls. I used a 100gm skein and have 45gms left over. I also used a little bit of the 150gms of grey I bought to make up the required amount of wool, probably about 10gms all up, to make the bands. I know I am not using the exact yarn specified in the pattern, but I used the same needle size and pretty much made gauge. If I was out by more than 10% I would have been surprised, but to use less than 25% of the yarn I was supposed to need just leaves me speechless. Life is indeed full of the unexpected!

Knitting is a great mystery grasshopper.

And another garment in Amy's new summer range made from yet another piece of fabric from the great Japan haul from Ellen. The gift that keeps giving Ellen! Thanks!!

Note: As requested - the knitting pattern is from a feature on Baby Knits for Beginners in the March 2003 edition of the Australian Women's Weekly Magazine (p173-4, 235-237). I've knit the largest of 3 sizes, which is 6 months. You might be able to get a copy of the pattern by contacting the Women's Weekly direct.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are so right grasshopper! i have had the same thing happen but in reverse - very frustrating - misprint? gorgeous skirt fabric

kyrie said...

what pattern did you use? I love it!!!

African Kelli said...

Beautiful work Sooz! A lucky recipient indeed, Grasshopper.

leslie said...

oooohhhh, that sweater (jumper) is so adorably cute! I'm in love with the colours, they look great together.

sue said...

Maybe they just misprinted the yarn usage, as sometimes happens in patterns. Better that you had left over than not enough though. That little skirt is so cute, did you use a pattern, or just make it up.

sooz said...

I might agree the yarn use was a misprint - except that this is a running theme with my knitting...

No pattern for the skirt and I suspect I would have been better off using one, but I only had a small piece of fabric so I used every bit!

Alison said...

Love the knit pattern and the buttons running down the side :)

LoriLaurieLauri said...

Such a beautiful sweater! I hope to be able to knit one of these days.

And I am totally loviing that skirt!

Congratulations on the job!

kt said...

So.Darn.Cute!

Can't wait to see someone in it...

Di said...

very cute pattern!
Sometimes yardage varys greatly for the same weight, thickness and tension. It's very odd that this has happened to you a few times. grasshoppers luck?

Alison said...

I love that sweater. It's just beautiful.