Tuesday, 12 September 2006

I spy

In the car, driving home after dinner in the dark.

Amy: I spy with my little eye something beginning with M.

Me: Is it inside the car or outside the car?

Amy: It's outside the car. Long pause. When I was little.

Me: Amy, can you see it?

Amy: No, it was outside the car when I was a little baby.

Me: You can only play with things you can see when you play this game. That's what I spy mean, what I can see with my eyes.

Amy: Oh. Ok. I spy with my little eye something beginning with T.

Me: Is it inside the car or outside the car?

Amy: It's outside the car. Long pause. Inside a house.

Me: Can you see it Amy?

Amy: Yes. Because I have really sharp eyes. I can see inside the houses.

Me: Is it a television?

Amy: YES!! Yay mummy you got it first time! Your turn!

Me: I spy with my little eye something beginning with C and it's inside the car.

Amy: Is it Catherine?

Me: Can you see Catherine?

Amy: No, she's at home.

Me: So it can't be Catherine can it?

Amy: No. Long pause. Is it tree?

Me: No because tree starts with T and I spy something beginning with C. And trees are outside the car. OK?

Amy: Yes. I know! It's Catherine!

D: Is it clock?

Me: Yes! Well done, now it's daddy's turn.

Amy: It's not fair I only had one turn. Pout.

D: I spy with my little eye something begnning with R and it's inside the car.

Amy: Is it Ray?

D: Remember you have to be able to see it Amy. Long pause.

Amy: Is it Ray?

D: Can you see Ray?

Amy: No.

D: So it can't be Ray can it?

Amy: No.

Amy: Is it Ray?

9 comments:

Suse said...

Oh this sounds so familiar. Notable answers in our car recently have been octopus and elephant. Hmmm.

And my mum always reminds me of the time when my brother was little and his clue was D. We all thought for ages before surrendering, to which he answered triumphantly "Deep blue sea!"

leslie said...

thanks for giving me an outloud laugh in the middle of my work day, sooz! I actually had to send a link to this post to two of my workmates as they just had to know what was so funny : )

Alison said...

This is lovely :)
(probably very frustrating for you at the time, but lovely still)

littlesnoring said...

Very Cute!

sooz said...

I didn't find it frustrating in a bad way, more mystefying! Sometimes she plays the game well, other times it's like, well, like she must be doing it on purpose she's so plot free. It got to the stage - believe me I only wrote out the SHORT version - where I was near hysterical with laugher behind my hand. What can be going on in that head?

Ali said...

We call this game "existential I spy" in our house.

In an effort to get more turns, our boy has "..beginning with D, G, S". When I fail to guess he says 'dog and gate and sign, of course' in a condescending way.

Funky Finds said...

that gave me a good chuckle :)

Liesl said...

Thanks for the laugh!

Turning Japanese said...

That is sooooo funny. The kids that I am living with right now are going through a real sooky period. I don't like it. They spend all their time saying how unfair it is and how they didn't do the thing they are in trouble with. It makes me tired and I don't have to deal with them too much - they are 2 and 4!!!!